This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Any remote unlock options?

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Jan 24 at 5:28 AM
Trying to build a computer that will support remote access in to the pre-boot auth, which as far as I can tell is only IPMI, vPro, or a KVM over IP.

IPMI is basically limited to Supermicro server/workstation boards.
vPro is limited only to Q270/Q170 chipsets, specific CPUs, etc. also it's annoying to use.
KVM over IP makes the local display less useful since it will have to be the "local display" and they run pretty costly.

I don't need remote power control - that's cheap and easy nowadays. I just need a text-based option (could even be serial port? or serial over USB?) to be able to type my password in remotely. I had to configure a real custom build on my original desktop, which used vPro, and I discovered how flaky it can act.

So does anyone else have ideas (this is more about VeraCrypt than hardware, anything could be an option that can help me out to be able to type my password in to the pre-boot authentication on the console...)

Thanks.
Jan 24 at 5:31 AM
Suppose display mirroring could be an option, and then a KVM over IP attached to the second "display" ... I am sure I am not the first person to have this issue / want to solve this though.
Developer
Jan 24 at 6:56 AM
It is not clear. You need special VeraCrypt loader to work via serial port?
Probably some vendors of EFI firmware implements serial port console. It is necessary to check for your configuration.