This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Slow write speeds from NTFS to Veracrypt

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Jan 18 at 7:52 AM
Edited Jan 18 at 10:20 AM
Hello.

First off, VeraCrypt is very nice as it enables me to encrypt my volume and use it in both Windows and Ubuntu, I am how ever experiencing some problems. I have a ~500mb/s drive and I'm only getting 30-40mb/s write speeds in Windows.

What I'm doing is copying [30gb] files from an unencrypted NTFS partition to a VC AES outer (on a hidden volume setup) volume. Copying the same files from a Bitlocker encrypted [C] partition to the same NTFS unencrypted partition results in writespeeds of ~380mb/s avg for the same files.

Not sure what the problem could be. I'm using a slightly higher PIM, but the way I understands it, that only affects volume mount.

Best regards
makada

EDIT:
This only seems to apply in one direction. NTFS->VC, slow. VC->NTFS, fast. Don't entirely understand this as both involve read/write operations of the same amount? Only way I can make sense of it is that writing to VC encrypted volume is slow and reading from it is fast. If this is the case, is my speed loss [in the effected direction] of a factor of 10 normal? And if so, why is writing (NTFS->C) to the Bitlocker encrypted volume still fast?
Jan 18 at 12:31 PM