This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Questions from a Newbie....

Topics: Users Discussion
Jan 18 at 3:44 AM
Edited Jan 18 at 3:46 AM
Hi there,

I am a new user of Veracrypt and is quite new to this field of encryption. I have briefly gone through the beginner documentation and I have the following questions:-

1.After the encryption of a non-system partition is complete, what would happen if I switch that encrypted hard disk to another (brand new) computer? And what should I do to gain access to its contents in that new computer? I am asking so because I expect that I may upgrade my computer this year.
  1. Regarding encryption of the whole C:\ (i.e. system partition), it appears from the documentation that there are two options available: (1) to encrypt only the partition where windows (mine is win 7) is installed; or (2) encrypt the whole system drive, including a special small partition (probably hidden?) containing files that are required to boot the system.
What’s the implication involved in both options? And what exactly the difference it would make if I take option (1) but not (2)? Is it advisable to choose option (2)?
  1. Is it advisable to put the keyfiles for those encrypted non-system partition into a duly encrypted system partition (i.e. C:)?
Would be much appreciated for any response.
Jan 18 at 3:50 AM
It appears that the format of this post is somehow screwed up when I tried to use the neat numbering to present my questions. Sorry about that as I am also a new user to this forum:(
Jan 19 at 6:01 PM
You can access a VeraCrypt encrypted hard drive on any computer where VeraCrypt is installed. Doesn't have to be the original one.