This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

usb 3.0 drive encrypted - how to lose the 'you need to format the disk in drive' message.

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Jan 11 at 5:26 PM
This is not a file that's encrypted it's the whole drive.

I'm nervous that one time I may accidently hit 'Format disk' in error.

Is there a way to set it so that it doesn't display this message.
Jan 11 at 7:17 PM
I'll add that I can at least now get the 'enter password' dialog box to appear on insertion, but so does the windows 'format disk' one too, I just need to get rid of that one.
Jan 12 at 1:21 AM
The only way to avoid the Windows OS from prompting to format the drive is to encrypt the partition of the drive instead of the whole drive. You can create the partition to use all the space on the whole drive.

You will need to copy your data off the current drive to make the structural change via Windows.
Jan 12 at 12:52 PM
Edited Jan 12 at 12:53 PM
Hrmm so like a teeny windows partition, then a huge encrypted 2nd partition?

Can't (once the disk is mounted) I use some sort of disk management to do that without having to remove everything and start from scratch?
Jan 12 at 3:02 PM
Edited Jan 12 at 3:26 PM
When you select the drive to mount in VeraCrypt, you will see something like "Harddisk 1:" which is whole disk encrypted verses partition of the entire space like:

Harddisk 1:
\Device\Harddisk\Partition1 <--- This 128 MB reserved partition called MSR Microsoft Reserved and not your usable data drive.
\Device\Harddisk\Partition2
Can't (once the disk is mounted) I use some sort of disk management to do that without having to remove everything and start from scratch?
No. You are moving the offset which will cause VeraCrypt to fail to mount the volume.
Jan 12 at 3:46 PM
Yes that's right.

I've redone it now by zapping the lot, getting rid of any formatting and then simply encrypted the unpartitioned drive and then let Vera format it.

It does mean that now when I plug in the drive, nothing happens at all, but at least I don't have to worry about formatting a drive now.

I simply manually run Vera to mount and then dismount once I'm done.