This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Capable to use wireless keyboard with boot loader / encrypted system partition

Topics: Technical Issues
Dec 29, 2016 at 11:33 PM
Hello,

I am considering encrypting the system partition of one of my machines. However, I normally only have a wireless keyboard and mouse attached (connected via a USB receiver dongle).

The device works well enough as is - for instance, I can even use it to enter bios before windows loads, so I assume standard generic drivers get it working.

However, I am worried I won't be able to enter my password into the bootloader if it assumes a USB or ps2 keyboard.

Before I try it, I am wondering if anyone had a setup like this work /fail already?
Dec 30, 2016 at 10:11 PM
Edited Dec 30, 2016 at 10:12 PM
Unless you have some super recent (or usb 3 only) intel chipset board it should work without problems. If it won't work, there should be emulation option in bios, at least my asrock board had this option. Imagine, I was not even able to install windows 7 without this emulation enabled!

But I don't think it is a good idea to type password via wireless keyboards, because they are known to be very unsecure and/or vulnerable, so you are pratically broadcasting your password to the air and making the vecracrypt-grade encryption same useless (weak) as your keyboard uses.