This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Support For F2FS Filesystem

Topics: Feature Requests
Dec 25, 2016 at 8:33 PM
The F2FS filesystem is available in Linux kernel and would be a great addition to Veracrypt's capabilities. F2FS is designed to promote SSD health via TRIM and various other things. It's also fast. I love using it but I can't figure out how to get its encryption working in Linux (Though encryption was added to linux kernel but not full disk encryption).
Feb 12 at 2:56 PM
As far as I see F2FS, it is tailor made for use on samsung ssd-s. How would you use it for VeraCrypt?

If you want to use it inside a veracrypt container, just create your container without a filesystem and let linux create your f2fs filesystem in this container.

If you want to use it as a storage place for veracrypt containers, I'd advice to create a thin-provisioned container. Use your prefered filesystem inside the container.

Be noted samsung offers disk encryption on various of their ssd-s this encryption. That encryption is ment to be used in conjunction with their ssd's It is hardware acceleraded (encryption in the ssd) and hooks to the tpm chip in your system if you have one.

If you'd like to use veracrypt on a partion in an SSD, be noted that the entire partition will be written to on encryption. Hence, better to leave some more space free for the ssd, so do not use all the data you see on te interface, better leave about 5 to 10 % open as an unused partition.