This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

What the best before encrypting full HDD

Topics: Technical Issues
Dec 7, 2016 at 4:44 PM
Hello everybody,

I have buy a new HDD for my data. And I see that I can encrypting the complete HDD without initialise the disk and create a partition.

For my previous HDD, I always first initialise disk, after create a partition on the full disk, and after say to vera crypt to encrypt the complete partition.

The difference is that, in my computer, when my disk are unmounted :
the first one have no letter, and I have a message of windows say me "you must initialise disk before use"
for the segond disk I can see a disk for example on H: with a partition RAW

My question is :
What the best before encrypting a complete HDD ?
  • make a partition on full HDD and encrypt it ?
    or
  • delete all partition / no initialise disk and encrypt the complete volume ?
Thanks for your help,
And sorry, my english is not very good, if i'm not clear tell me !
Dec 9, 2016 at 12:36 AM
Hello,

I recommend allowing Windows to create a partition and then encryption the partition.

The prevents Windows from prompting you to format the drive anytime it is connected to your Windows PC which some users have accidentally clicked the wrong button and quick formatted the encrypted drive.
Dec 9, 2016 at 12:39 AM
I recommend allowing Windows to create a partition and then encryption the partition.

The prevents Windows from prompting you to format the drive anytime it is connected to your Windows PC which some users have accidentally clicked the wrong button and quick formatted the encrypted drive.
Dec 18, 2016 at 2:18 PM
Hello,

Thanks for your help :)

The problem is after encryption the partition, is that if I click on the partition windows say me "You must format before use it" (because my partition is now in RAW mode).

I know that I must use the new partition after have mount it in vera crytp.

But if an users accidentally click on the "physique" partition and say format, it will destroy veracrypt partition.

Do you have an idea to forbiden format ? Or maybe hidden the physical disk/partition ?

Thanks for your help,
If i'm not clear tell me :)
Dec 18, 2016 at 5:11 PM
remid13 wrote:
But if an users accidentally click on the "physique" partition and say format, it will destroy veracrypt partition.

Do you have an idea to forbiden format ? Or maybe hidden the physical disk/partition ?
Sorry, if a user click on the partition in Disk Management, Windows will prompt you to format. In general, users should not be in Disk Management utility.
Dec 19, 2016 at 4:29 AM
And don't forget to backup your data!