This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

System encryption not recognizing boot drive

Topics: Technical Issues
Nov 24, 2016 at 10:43 PM
Edited Nov 24, 2016 at 10:45 PM
I just installed Win7 on a second drive in a system with another win7 os. Both are on independent drives, and I use the defult windows boot loader to boot either of them (as I've always done in the past with VC). VC 1.19 is telling me it doesn't recognize this drive as a boot drive when I start the system encryption process.

This makes no sense because
-First: the drive I'm trying to encrypt is set on my #0 sada connector. It's the first device on the sata chain.
-Secondly: this is the drive that first boots automatically when the computer starts. This is a clean install of Win7. Why is VC not recognizing it as the first boot device when it is the first to boot with no user intervention?

Advanced Thanks
Nov 25, 2016 at 5:05 AM
Edited Nov 25, 2016 at 2:58 PM
EDIT, still not working

I installed bcdedit, and it lets you move the boot loader to what ever drive you want. I'm now able to start the System encryption without the error message, but when the system boots back into the Win7 os that has VC installed, it still says failed. And yet, this is the drive that the computer boots into by default.

If the boot loader location is this issue, and VC seems to be installing it to the wrong drive, why doesn't the installer front end give the user the option to specify where to install it?

EDIT 2

Ok, I got this working the same way I've done in the past. That is to remove all other drives containing an OS. Obviously the installer doesn't know where to put the boot-loader, so you have to take the other drives away, and then plug them back in when the conversion is done. Then you can use the BIOS boot menu to access either OS. It would be really nice if there was an option in VC's GUI to tell the boot-loader where to install itself specifically. But removing the drives works also.

Note: The way I've always liked to set up my system is: (When you use the BIOS boot menu, or I think it's referred to as the windows boot menu), you can access any of the drives containing the OS of choice. So (USING the BIOS boot menu) If you select the OS where VC is (not) installed, it will just boot into the OS that was not encrypted as normal. On the other hand, if you select the OS where the VC boot-loader (is) installed, then you'll see the boot-loader come us as expected and you'll access the OS that was encrypted. ...Now it's working!

Remove all OS drives except the one you're working with (before doing system encryption) Then hook them back up when you're done. ...Fixed