This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Win10 LTSB freezing by mounting of VeraCrypt Containers

Topics: Technical Issues
Nov 17, 2016 at 10:16 AM
Hello community,

i have noticed a small issue with the mounting of VeraCrypt containers on Windows 10 LTSB.

In Detail:
  • I open the VeraCrypt 1.19 64bit application which is fix installed on the system.
  • I select a drive letter and my VeraCrypt Container which has a size of 10GB, AES(Twofish(Serpent)) algorithm and HMAC-SHA-512.
  • I push mounting
The mounting windows appears as normal and mounting is running and successful after 30 seconds.
My issue appears during these 30 seconds: In this time no application or button of the windows system is usable. It reacts like completely frozen.

If i compare this process with the same VeraCrypt Version on Windows 7 Home Premium and using a 400GB container, the mounting takes the same time or even faster and i can use my Win7 normally.
The Notebook with Win10 runs with an SSD and 8GB RAM.
The Notebook with Win7 runs with a normal HDD and 8GB RAM.

Does anyone of you guys has the same problem in Win10?
Is it maybe a compatibility problem with Win10 LTSB?

Thank you for your help and replies.

Kind regards,
nethstarcorp
Nov 28, 2016 at 1:42 PM
Hi,

This issue can happen if the CPU of the machine has only 1 core: mounting is a computation intensive operation and so there is no CPU bandwidth left for the OS and this may explain the issue especially if the OS kernel doesn't schedule well

What is the CPU of the Windows 10 Notebook? And for Windows 7 Notebook?

If they have the same CPU then this means that Windows 10 has a problem handling situations when a process needs full CPU power. Knowing the CPU used will give more hints about the configuration that causes this.

For your information, I have done tests on Windows 10 Enterprise (same as LTSB) use Core i7 CPUs and I never encountered such issue.
Nov 28, 2016 at 1:47 PM
Also:
  • can you test mounting on Windows 10 by selecting SHA-512 as PRF in the password dialog instead of "Autodetection"? This makes mounting quicker.
  • Can you disable the waiting dialog in the preference and try again? Go to menu Settings -> Preferences and check "Don't show wait message dialog when performing operations"
Thanks.
Nov 29, 2016 at 10:28 AM
Hi,

thank you for your reply and advice.

I have checked and compared your advice regarding the CPU.
The Win10 Notebook has a real Dual Core plus 2 logical Cores from the Intel i5-series.
The Win7 Notebook has a real Quad Core CPU from the Intel i5-series.

I have seen a 100% CPU usage at all Cores on the Win10 and just with 2 Cores on the Win7 for a few seconds during the mounting process.
It really looks like a CPU problem of the ThinkPad Model with the Win10 LTSB.

I generally mounting the containers with the selection of SHA-512 because with auto-detect it was even slower.
Next i will test your advice with the waiting dialog.

Best wishes,
nethstarcorp
Dec 1, 2016 at 9:34 PM
Hi,

Since you explicitly select SHA-512 as PRF in the password dialog, it is not normal to have 100% CPU usage on all cores for the Win10 Notebook.

Let's see if disabling the waiting dialog has an effect.
Apr 5 at 1:37 PM
Hi,

sorry for the long time of my reply. But since the last Patch Day the problem is almost gone. Just sometimes it appears.
Disabling the waiting dialog didn't had an effect in the past.
It seems to be a Windows 10 Problem.
Anyways thx for your help.

Best wishes,
nethstarcorp