This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Is it possible to reinstall Windows after forgetting my Password?

Topics: Users Discussion
Nov 8, 2016 at 11:44 PM
Hi,

I have my laptop fully encrypted with VeraCrypt and apparently I've forgotten my password. I'm convinced that I am entering the correct password however, when I enter the password I get a message saying it is incorrect. To make things worse, I cannot locate the recovery disk either.

What I need to know is if it is possible to just completely reinstall windows? and if so, how do I go about doing that?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Nov 11, 2016 at 8:23 AM
In Windows setup, delete the partitions and let setup format them.

My method is to set up Windows exactly how I want it and use the built-in tools to create a system image. Then, every second Tuesday when updates come out, I boot from a recovery disk, click through to the 'restore a Windows system image' dialog, and select 'format and repartition'.
The down side is the 20 minutes to re-image, then 30 minutes to re-encrypt the system partition, but the upside is a clean system. And I've never needed a recovery disk. In fact, I disable the dvd drive before starting system encryption.