This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Veracrypt Recovery Disk Not Working in 1.19Beta-2

Topics: Technical Issues
Oct 12, 2016 at 1:28 PM
In the new test release the recovery disk doesn't work properly.

When I boot recovery disk I get ERROR: No bootable partition found.

I'm not able to access recovery features like restoring the header key.

The recovery disk is rendered useless for recovery in 1.19BETA-2
Coordinator
Oct 12, 2016 at 1:37 PM
Can you please give more details:
  • Are you using EFI or MBR system encryption?
  • How did you create the recovery disk?
  • Are you sure the motherbord is configured correctly to boot from the recovery CD/USB disk?
On our side, there is no issue booting from either MBR ISO or EFI USB recovery disk.
Oct 12, 2016 at 7:16 PM
I am using MBR system encryption.
I created a USB recovery disk by using the tool set you provided.
When I boot the USB it boots the veracrypt recovery image and where you enter password it instead displays "Error No bootable partition found"
I am unable to enter a password, pim or access any recovery
Oct 12, 2016 at 7:19 PM
Is there anything that I can do.
I.e. Run software or some other tool to help you better diagnose the problem?

Sincerely,
Peter Mierau
[Grey Wolf Logo]

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:49 AM
Edited Oct 13, 2016 at 4:10 AM
Hello Peter,

I assume the tool set you referenced in your post to create a bootable USB drive is the VeraCryptUsbRescueDisk.zip file located at the link below.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/veracrypt/files/Contributions/

Can you post a screenshot of your Windows Disk Management? This may help the developers review for any anomaly in the partitions.

Kind Regards.
Oct 14, 2016 at 1:16 PM
Edited Oct 14, 2016 at 1:17 PM
Here is the screenshot of my disk.
https://share.riseup.net/#ggdOe34t2v5AMsb5yXl1_Q

Here is the screenshot of the Veracrypt bootloader. It works perfectly.
https://share.riseup.net/#w39WFDZYHA-FIV6eXZaAlA

Hers is the screenshot of the Veracrypt recovery disk. It doesn't offer any recovery and gives this message.
https://share.riseup.net/#vPiDQ3m4ZXA1aFDJXXBJ7g
Coordinator
Oct 14, 2016 at 7:32 PM
Edited Oct 14, 2016 at 7:33 PM
I don't know how your created your rescue disk but it was not correctly done because your third screenshot doesn't correspond to what is displayed by the Rescue Disk.
I have done a test with 1.19-BETA2 and here is what is displayed when I boot on a USB disk created from the Rescue Disk ISO file following the procedure described here:
rescueusb

To me, it looks like you have created a USB from loader on the disk rather than the loader of Rescue Disk.

Can you please share details of how you created the USB disk and which parameter did you use for system encryption (encryption algorithm(s) and hash)?
Oct 14, 2016 at 8:49 PM
I created the recovery disk by clicking in Veracrypt create recovery disk image.
I then used the Veracrypt USB tools you provided and saved stuck the image on a USB. The image is being booted by GDLR.

I encrypted using AES. I'm able to boot my system from the Veracrypt 1.18 recovery no problem. The Veracrypt 1.19-Beta2 gives me the bootable partition error.

Sincerely,
Peter Mierau
[Grey Wolf Logo]

Coordinator
Oct 16, 2016 at 10:02 PM
As I said in my previous post, you third screenshot is suspicious: this is not the menu of the rescue disk. Title is "VeraCrypt Boot Loader" instead of "VeraCrypt Rescue Disk".
I did several tests on my side and the Rescue Disk boots and displays the correct bootloader title message, not like your case.
For now, I'm not going to spend more time on this. I will wait for others to reproduce the issue in order to have more elements.
Oct 16, 2016 at 10:19 PM
I understand. Thank you again for all the work you do developing and answering questions, even though sometimes its hard to find a solution.
Oct 18, 2016 at 12:42 AM
Hey! Once I updated to 1.19 and recreated my recovery disk I'm now able to see the full recovery!
Thanks again for taking time to help everyone and develop great software.

I'm running on a Dell Latitude 3340, with a Kingston SSDNow 120GB harddrive Windows 7 MBR.
Marked as answer by VeracryptUser01 on 10/17/2016 at 5:42 PM