This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Crashed Hard drive!

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Oct 6, 2016 at 12:57 PM
Hi all,

We have recently started to encrypt laptops with VeraCrypt having experienced major issues with Kaspersky! It seems to be an awesome piece of software however about 1-2wks after encrypting a system partition on a new laptop, the hard drive failed and needs to be replaced.

It seems to be too much of a coincidence, and i dont feel too confident about rolling out further at the moment... is there anyway that encryption could be the cause, maybe the drive is not completely dead anyhow?

Details:
Laptop: HP EliteBook 850 G2 - < 6months old.
Usage: General office
Drive: 256Gb SSD (2.5")
Encryption method: System Partition, single boot

Symptoms:
User was talking on the phone and not using PC when the screen PC completely powered off and black screened. On reboot drive could not be detected. HP diagnostics utilility extensive drive test reported:
SMART Check: Not Installed,
LONG DST: Not Installed
Tried to recover with VC recovery disc... cant detect device and lots of angry BEEPING!!!

BIOS indicates the drive model SAMSUNG..... 256GB (not sure if detected or stored), but it cant be picked up by boot loader.

I tried booting to Kali linux and drive was not detected and I couldnt find any errors or any reference to the device in the logs.

Tested SSD in another identical laptop... same issue.

Is there anyway the drive could be corrupted in someway rather than completely failed? Im not even sure how to test for this but model in BIOS indicates there is some life in it.

Is this just a coincidence?

Regards