This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Failed to setup System Encryption after changing only the Hard Drive.

Topics: Technical Issues
Sep 30, 2016 at 4:17 AM
In short: I can't setup System Encryption properly on the very same laptop after changing the hard drive.

I used to use System Encryption (Full-Disk Encryption) on my laptop. Yesterday I purchased a new SSD (intel 535 240G, if it matters) to replace my old 5400 rpm HDD. I backup all my data, swap the drives, install OS on the new SSD like I did before with my HDD, install drivers, necessary Windows updates, everything like before.

Then I decided to make a full disk encryption before I import my personal data onto the drive, I followed the exact steps I used to do but failed to set up system encryption - after entering the pre-boot password, Windows won't load (All I get is a black screen with blinking white cursor on the top left corner) If I hit ESC on VeraCrypt bootloader, Windows will boot normally.

I tried different settings for system encryption, like not detecting Host Protected Area, or only encrypt the system partition instead of the whole drive, nothing works - black screen with a white cursor, and all my keyboard inputs are invalid (including ctrl-alt-del) if I press the power button on my laptop (not holding it) it will power down.

This is a laptop I previously have successfully setup Full-Disk Encryption with, only change I made to it was pull out the HDD and put in the SSD. The OS is Windows 7 SP1 x64 (like before) and I don't have any program installed that is not previously installed with HDD setup.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the SSD it self but I still run a Full Diagnostic scan (with Intel SSD Toolbox) which turns out successful. I have no idea what else can I do, please advise.
Sep 30, 2016 at 7:00 AM
Edited Sep 30, 2016 at 7:01 AM
Well, so I searched for how people solving the "black screen with blinking cursor" problem online, found suggestions about rebuild BCD.

I didn't think about this because my laptop could boot normally if I just hit ESC on VeraCrypt bootloader, but what would it hurt to give a shot? So I took my installation usb drive, boot my laptop with it, rebuild my bcd, boot into Windows, enable System Encryption, and this time Windows boots normally after I enter the password on VeraCrypt Boot Loader.

I have no idea what I did could cause a problem to my BCD, but rebuilding it sure fixed the problem. Case closed :)
Marked as answer by RadarNyan on 9/30/2016 at 12:00 AM