This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Upgrade to 18 fails message on Vista

Topics: Technical Issues
Sep 24, 2016 at 9:11 PM
I tried to upgrade from 17 to 18 and I get message "Failed to upgrade Veracrypt!" and tells me to use system restore or reinstall old version before I shut down. Then I get another box that says "Installation Failed" then I get a 3rd box that says "Veracrypt has been successfully upgraded" and asks to restart. The installed version says version 18a and seems to work but explorer no longer launches when I click on the mounted volume in the VC gui.

I am running Vista sp2 32 bit with 32bit VC installer. Windows is strictly an offline system for me and hasn't been updated in over a year. I've tried to update it but windows update hangs on "checking for updates" for over 12 hours. Is there a specific update that I'm missing and can get manually?
Thank you for any help
Oct 5, 2016 at 12:13 AM
I have the same issue, running Vista 64bit service pack 2. I was able to download and install 1.17 directly so I think the problem is with the installer on 1.18.
Oct 20, 2016 at 7:44 PM
Edited Oct 20, 2016 at 7:51 PM
Folks, both v1.18a AND 1.19 are working on Win Vista 64/32bit just fine once installed. Tested.
However installer just fails to register extension and add shortcuts to Start menu and Programs (since things here are bit different from win7).

*** Workaround *** is to uncheck 3 last options when installing Veracrypt package (i.e. do not register extension, do not add shortcuts to both desktop and start menu)
So it will install ok - and then you can add shortcuts manually