This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

UEFI system encryption with SSD

Topics: Feature Requests, Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Sep 19, 2016 at 9:10 AM
Hey guys, I try encrypt my Windows 10 partition with the new system encryption for UEFI. But when I try it on a SSD drive the pre-test fails with the error 'unable to open start partition'. I tested it on 2 SSDs which both failed and on 1 normal HDD, where it works without problems. I think it's not my boot setup etc. all 3 drives had the same gpt layout and data when i started testing, and i only connected one drive at same time.
So, can someone please tell me if he was able to do it on an UEFI SSD? Then i know if I have to wait for a fix for SSDs or it's something with my system. Unfortunaly i can't use legacy because I want to triple boot with hackintosh later... Thank you guys!
Developer
Sep 19, 2016 at 9:46 PM
I'm using UEFI and SSD.

It looks like there is problem with GPT table. VeraCrypt saves header in 62 sector.
Sep 22, 2016 at 5:11 PM
Edited Sep 22, 2016 at 10:02 PM
Thanks for ur tipp but it was something else... It seems like there was a problem with the Sata port on the mainboard the drive was connected to. Maybe the ssd hang on any special fast gigabyte sata port or it needs to be P0: in the bios setup. After put the drive on the port from the hdd where it worked everything was perfect. Hope I can help if someone has the same issue, took me many hours and os installs to find out ;)
Edit: okay I figured out using gigabyte gsata was the problem
Sep 23, 2016 at 3:18 AM
Edited Sep 23, 2016 at 3:19 AM
And additional to make it easier to some guys to multiboot: use Grub on Linux to chainload Veracrypt on your EFI partition. The sequence should be something like:
insmod gpt
insmod fat
set root='hd(0,2)'
chainloader /EFI/VeraCrypt/DcsBoot.efi
Sep 23, 2016 at 12:40 PM
JohnBrower wrote:
And additional to make it easier to some guys to multiboot: use Grub on Linux to chainload Veracrypt on your EFI partition. The sequence should be something like:
insmod gpt
insmod fat
set root='hd(0,2)'
chainloader /EFI/VeraCrypt/DcsBoot.efi
You could add a boot entry for DcsBoot.efi to the UEFI boot menu to avoid chainloading from GRUB
Oct 22, 2016 at 4:33 PM
I had the same issue and wrote a step-by-step guide at http://www.genopro.com/misc/Installing-VeraCrypt/ (How to Install VeraCrypt on a GUID Partition Table (GPT)). In my case, I use Windows 7.

In a nutshell, you have to convert your drive from GPT to MBR and later change your BIOS boot mode from UEFI with CSM to Legacy.