This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Possible to have a hidden OS on one physical drive that appears to be a "normal" drive in a decoy OS on another drive?

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Sep 10, 2016 at 8:14 PM
I'm curious if the following setup is possible. I have two physical drives, call them C and E. I currently have Windows 7 on C, from which I store many files onto E. What I would like to do is entirely encrypt both drives (i.e. so you can't even boot the Windows OS without the password). In addition, I would like to have a "hidden" volume/partition/whatever on the E drive, from which I could boot Linux if I provide both the "outer" password and the "hidden" one, while at the same time being able to continue using E from Windows for storing "normal" files (i.e. the decoys).

In other words, I would like to continue using Windows as I currently do, while having a bootable Linux installation that nobody can detect, even if I am forced to give out my "decoy" password for the outer volumes/partitions/whatever. I've been going through the documentation, but before I dig deeper I wanted to know if this is even possible?
Developer
Sep 10, 2016 at 11:06 PM
From box - no. We are working to improve VeraCrypt.

Demo video
http://sendvid.com/px9jirm6

The video demonstrates following scenario:
  1. Picture password. (If touch screen is available)
  2. OS key on a separate disk. (vbox_hiddenos_key.vhd)
  3. OS key connected -> ask password -> password from encrypted OS (veraen) -> boot OS from disk 1
  4. OS key connected -> ask password -> password from hidden OS (verahid) -> boot OS from disk 2
  5. OS key disconnected -> boot Linux