This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Issue with File Volume sharing between Windows and Mac over Synology Cloudstation

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Sep 6, 2016 at 6:20 PM
Edited Sep 6, 2016 at 6:37 PM
I have installed VeraCrypt 1.18 on both a Windows PC and a Mac Book Pro (first installing OSXFuse on the Mac Book Pro, and choosing the MacFuse compatibility option). My goal is to create an encrypted file volume in which I can store my personal financial information, and access it from both computers. I do not need simultaneous access. I created a (non-dynamic) file volume in my Synology Cloudsation folder, so that it would automatically sync between both computers. Upon creation, the file shortly appears in the directories of both computers, as it should.

The problem comes when I then mount the volume and add content. Even after I dismount the volume and exit VeraCrypt, Cloudstation does not see the file as changed, and so does not synchronize it with the other computer. However, if I make a copy of the file, it does synchronize the new copy across both computers, and I can seem to mount it and see the content.

I did try using a dynamic volume, thinking that would encourage synchronization, but no luck.

Any suggestions on a solution to cause automatic synchronization? I will try Dropbox instead of Cloudstation, but anticipate the same result. Any other ideas?
Sep 6, 2016 at 6:47 PM
Well, I did try it with Dropbox and it appears to work. So, I have a workaround. If anyone has any suggestions for a Synology Cloudstation approach, please make them. Thanks.