This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Case sensitive VeraCrypt volume on MacOS X?

Topics: Users Discussion
Aug 31, 2016 at 2:49 PM
Edited Sep 21, 2016 at 1:43 PM
How is it possible to make a case sensitive file container or encrypted volume?

I am running MacOS X El Capitan and as it is the standard rule on all Unixes I
have only case sensitive partitions.
I would like to avoid getting file names collision (for example if there are
files named "a" and "A" within the same directory) to migrate files on a VeraCrypt volume.

How may I create a case sensitive VeraCrypt volume on MacOS X?
Sep 6, 2016 at 8:15 PM
Possibly I'm misunderstanding you. But I think your example of "a" and "A" works, or doesn't,
depending on the FILESYSTEM, not on any intrinsic characteristic of a partition or crypt.
So if your crypt is formatted with filesystem that doesn't distinguish between cases, then it
won't. I don't have one at hand to test, but it may be that FAT32, which I THINK ( I may be
mistaken) is the default filesystem for crypts, doesn't. When making the crypt, though, you
have a choice of filesystems to use. Use an ext3 for example, and I think it will work the same
way ext3 does on an en claire partition. The problem with this is that with the present state
of the art, you can only do hidden crypts when the "outer" crypt is a FAT. So you can have a
more modern filesystem, but at a cost. This also leads to a limit on their size. There is a thread here
somewhere where that is discussed along with the problems of attempting to use extN in
making hidden crypts. I think if you poke at it, you can figure out how to reformat the filesystem
in a crypt without haveing to remake the crypt from scratch if you want to. You might have to
use the command line text interface thought. But look for that thread and check it out. I think
there are good arguments to be made for sticking with FAT if you can.

I think mv and cp both have options where they will rename files rather than overwrite files on
the target directory. Maybe that would be a better solution.
Sep 21, 2016 at 1:39 PM
"There is a thread here somewhere where that is discussed…"

Where is this thread you are talking of?