This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Rescue Disk not working

Topics: Technical Issues
Aug 27, 2016 at 10:37 PM
Hi,

I just encrypted my Windows 10 (UEFI) system partition using Veracryt 1.18. The pretest worked fine. However, once the encryption was finished, I was unable to reboot. There is no veracrypt bootloader in the boot menu, just the one from Windows, which tries to repair it's installation.
The Rescue Disk USB drive to which I unpacked the zip file isn't bootable, is there some kind of trick? What happened to the iso files?
Furthermore I'm also able to mount the encrypted system partition without pre-boot-authentification using another Windows installation, but unfortunately there's no option to permanently decrypt.
I would be happy about any advice
Aug 27, 2016 at 11:10 PM
Hi,

The Pre-Test is performed before encryption precisely to avoid such kind of situation, so it is surprising that just after encryption is finished, VeraCrypt bootloader disappears...
Concerning the Rescue Disk, it is very simple: you just need a USB key formatted as FAT and then extract the zip content to the root of the USB key so that the EFI folder is on the top (for example E:\EFI if the USB key is connected as E:). Then boot on the USB key (you have to tell your machine to boot on the USB key, specific instructions for this different from motherboard to motherboard).

In all cases, the VeraCrypt bootloader is still on your drive. Something on your machine just removed its entry from boot menu. Another possibility is that something has enabled Secure Boot on your machine after you disabled it. Can you check that Secure Boot is still disabled?

So at this stage, you first need to boot on the Rescue USB disk and from there you can restore VeraCrypt in boot menu by choosing "Restore VeraCrypt loader to boot menu". And of course, you have to check that Secure Boot remains disabled (unless you load VeraCrypt-DCS certificate into your motherboard firmware).
Aug 30, 2016 at 5:10 PM
Edited Aug 30, 2016 at 7:43 PM
Hey,

thanks for the quick reply :)
Secure boot seems to be disabled (according to msinfo32).
Even after a bios upgrade, the screen stays black when booting from the rescue Disk.
I also followed the instructions from the 'EFI Troubleshoot with Mint' video on YouTube. As a result of this, the VeraCrypt-DCS entry appears in the boot menu instead of the one from Windows like before. However, when I trie to boot, the screen stays black too.

I don't know whether this has something to do with it, but when mounting the encrypted SSD without pre-boot authentication (no readonly tick), it says, Windows is hibernated.

Edit:
It turned out I could just enter my password and hit enter twice, even though nothing was shown. Now everything works fine. Thanks for the great support here!