This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Incorrect password/pim/hash error despite using correct password

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Aug 27, 2016 at 3:30 AM
Hi all,

Excited to finally use FDE with 1.18! At the pretest screen, despite entering the correct password, it says the incorrect password/pim/hash error message. I'm using English keyboards for both Windows and BIOS. Both passwords match using the "show password" option with F5. I've tried using "eeee" as the letter is the most stable in keyboard layouts as referenced here.

This is on a Dell XPS 13 9350, Windows 10. Any thoughts?
Aug 27, 2016 at 12:54 PM
Same problem here on a (Dell) Alienware 17R2 :-(
Aug 27, 2016 at 4:19 PM
Since a few month I am having the same problem. I am using a DELL XPS502 and sometimes, VeraCrypt tells me that the entered password is incorrect. But I pressed F5 at the beginning and can confirm that the entered password is correct.

I have to reboot my notebook to solve this issue.
Aug 27, 2016 at 7:13 PM
ikarisan wrote:
Since a few month I am having the same problem. I am using a DELL XPS502 and sometimes, VeraCrypt tells me that the entered password is incorrect. But I pressed F5 at the beginning and can confirm that the entered password is correct.

I have to reboot my notebook to solve this issue.
Are you running 1.18a?

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/discussions/652800
Coordinator
Aug 27, 2016 at 11:27 PM
Just to be sure: is your machine booting using UEFI or legacy MBR? It looks like MBR boot but I prefer to receive confirmation.

Also, did you use AES as the encryption algorithm? AES requires the less memory and it is recommended in case where such strange issues happen.
Aug 28, 2016 at 3:54 AM
Hi idrassi,

My machine is booting in UEFI. Is that correct? Here's what the BIOS looks like. http://i.imgur.com/0j50XEO.jpg

And I'm using AES encryption.

Thanks!
Developer
Aug 28, 2016 at 7:57 AM
Edited Aug 28, 2016 at 7:58 AM
Probably your computer has two disks. Right?

Are OS and EFI disks different?
Aug 28, 2016 at 2:36 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
Are you running 1.18a?
No, I ran 1.17. Just updated to 1.18a and give it a try.
Aug 28, 2016 at 10:20 PM
Looks like I have 3 partitions total. You can see them here. http://i.imgur.com/3sw8cRW.png

Is that what's causing the problem?
Coordinator
Aug 28, 2016 at 11:00 PM
@BaEP:
I have doubts about the fact that you are booting using EFI. When VeraCrypt bootloader asks about password, what is displayed on the screen? Only "password: " line or you are seeing many text lines including VeraCrypt version and menu option and then the "password:" line?

If you are not using EFI, VeraCrypt version and menu will be displayed before password prompt. In this case, this error was already reported and it appears to be caused by the presence of the extra partition at the beginning of the disk. There is no workaround or fix yet for this.

If you are using EFI, then only "password:" prompt is displayed. In this, it would be very strange because I have a Windows 10 machine with the exact same layout as you and VeraCrypt encryption works with no issue.

Is the D drive connected during boot? Can you disconnect it?
Aug 28, 2016 at 11:43 PM
idrassi,

Bootloader screen:
https://i.imgur.com/6i89kU2.jpg

It worked! It looks like removing my SD card fixed the problem. However, I'd like to leave my encrypted SD card in my laptop for expandable storage. Is there a workaround for this?
Aug 29, 2016 at 9:11 PM
Just to let you know: my machine is set up to use EFI as well. I tried AES encryption algorithm with either 1.18 and 1.19 beta 2, the password is declared incorrect. However: my notebook has one SSD (the one used as system drive which I'm trying to encrypt) and one regular HDD (already completely encrypted by veracrypt, non system drive).
Aug 29, 2016 at 11:59 PM
Hi all,

Actually my laptop is booting fine so far even with the SD card inside the laptop. I'm running the encryption now. Thanks everyone!
Oct 30, 2016 at 2:23 AM
Yeah that's what I find with 1.17. I use MBR not EFI. If I enter the password incorrectly the first time, but correctly in future entries, it doesn't matter, will still say it's incorrect, so if I enter the password incorrectly the first time, I just have to reboot and then try again.