This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Encrypting existing folders

Topics: Users Discussion
Aug 26, 2016 at 12:50 PM
I need to return a defective external drive, wd my passsport wireless pro, The online recommendations were to encrypt rather than secure delete the folders. As I read through the veracrypt documentation it recommends copying the files to the encrypted volume and then secure deleting the original folders. Whats the best way to make the existing data unreadable? Thanks for your help.
Aug 26, 2016 at 4:07 PM
Connect your external HDD to your PC for faster performance of encrypting the drive.
  1. On the main VeraCrypt window, click Create Volume button.
  2. Encrypt a non-system partition.
  3. Standard VeraCrypt Volume.
  4. Select your external HDD drive.
  5. Select the option: Create encrypted volume and format it
Continue following the prompts. Do not enable Quick Format which is disabled by default. You want to overwrite all the data on the drive. One pass wipe is sufficient on modern HDDs to wipe them clean.

Use a password that is 64 characters long and is random characters, numbers and special characters. You are not going to need to remember this password since you are basically wanting to sanitize the drive before you send it back to Western Digital.

NOTE: The encrypting and formatting may fail during the process since this creates a lot of I/O on the failing drive. Hence, you may not be able to totally encrypt the drive due to failure of the hardware.
Aug 26, 2016 at 7:30 PM
I followed your recommendations, only 29 hours to go. Thank you.