This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Encrypted System backup with Windows system image creation tool

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Aug 21, 2016 at 6:04 PM
Hello,

since the version 1.18a supports UEFI Bios, I encrypted the whole hard drive of my laptop (Windows 10 system partition + data partition). It works like a charm ;-)

But... I create system backups each month using the Windows System Image creation tool. It generates a folder called WindowsImageBackup which I put in an encrypted external hard drive.

Can I still backup and restore system images as easily as before on with my encrypted system ?

Best regards !
Developer
Aug 21, 2016 at 6:58 PM
I've tested DISM tool to backup and restore system image via WinPE from Windows ADK. It creates "wim" file.

WinPE boots from USB. VeraCrypt can mount system drive from USB with WinPE. DISM can backup/restore.

How do you plan to restore system?
Aug 22, 2016 at 10:01 AM
Hello kavsrf,

I don't know what is DISM and WinPE and how to use it but I will look at them. However, it would be nice for me to be able to continue to use the Windows System Image creation tool because it's pretty simple tu use and I can continue working during the backup process.

To answer your question, I have to differents backup/restore plans :

1- Normal plan : Backup once month and restore if I notice a problem with a software or a Windows update (I often get problems after updating Windows 10).
In order to do that, I backup my laptop while I work and put the folder on an external hard drive. I sometimes have to restore the system partition, so I use the UEFI options and just wait during the process.

2- Work plan during travel : I make a backup of my "daily system" and restore a special minimal System Image (Win10 + some softwares I need to work). When I come back at home, I trash the "working system" by installing a temporary new clean Windows 10 system, then, restoring my "daily system" image backup from the temporary W10's options. During the process, I usually choose to format System and UEFI partition.

As you can see, I often "play" with system images backup and I need to know if Vercrypt supports these operation. Or, if not, what other simple process I can use.

Best regards.

PS : English is not my native language, so I am sorry if I don't immediately understand any explanation ;-)
Developer
Aug 22, 2016 at 2:41 PM
I do not use this scenario. It is new. You need experiment.

It'll be very interesting your results.

Note: To bypass authorization press <ESC> if OS is not encrypted
Aug 22, 2016 at 11:39 PM
@garga

Hi,

I get enough success with Macruim Reflect both Windows up and running and backup and restore sector by sector.

I've done with Windows 7 and Windows 10 location and portable installation.
Aug 23, 2016 at 9:15 AM
Edited Aug 23, 2016 at 9:16 AM
Hello vgn_31,

thank you for this piece of advice. I'am looking at Macrium Free right now and backing up my datas in order to test different situations.

Do you know if it's possible to backup/restore encrypted system using the Macrium rescue disk ? I guess that it's not possible, but...
Aug 23, 2016 at 8:19 PM
Edited Aug 23, 2016 at 8:22 PM
garga

Yes,

Although I have a license, I believe it should work with the free version.

I create a media that goes with Windows 10 (Winpe) and my layout is Windows 7 150 GB partition with two encrypted and unencrypted partitions at the end.

When I was using Windows 10 laptop tested with Macruim 9 times and worked perfitamente and Windows 7 have tested 4 times and another by necessity verdadiera restoration.

In his first case with Macruim make an image with Windows worked and then do another at will WINPE media and then restore it to see if it worked. It was this way I did.

Ah! Remember the Macruim back up sector by sector.

PS. Another that can help with both Windows funcoinado or winpe is the R-Drive Image, but with it I just tested a backup with the system partition mounted via winpe. Ah! With Macruim in case u format the partitions by accident can rest easy because it also works normally.

Look not only confirm if you can come to work with UEFI, because I don't have computers with that version.

If this is your case, and everything goes all right with you, tell us about your experience.
Aug 24, 2016 at 2:51 PM
Here are Macrium Reflect forum postings on TrueCrypt and version 5 of Reflect that should still be valid for VeraCrypt.

http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5137

http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4193

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50140.aspx
Aug 31, 2016 at 1:59 AM