This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

VeraCrypt containers and modification date

Topics: Feature Requests, Users Discussion
Aug 19, 2016 at 8:10 PM
Hello everyone,

So I tried VeraCrypt a couple month ago and found out I could not really use it because the modification date of the container never changes after locking the said container.
Indeed, the main use I have is to encrypt the data that goes onto my cloud space (Google Drive), but the synchronization is done only if the modification date has changed.

I am using Bitdefender File Vault for now but I would like to use an open source software (and with the under going audit of VeraCrypt it seems promising), so I would like to know if this date does not change for security purposes or if it will ever change.

I think I know what the answer will be but I would like to be sure. It would be great though if we had the option to make the container "cloud compatible".

Thanks for your answers !
Aug 19, 2016 at 8:48 PM
In VeraCrypt main window, go to Settings > Preferences, and look for "Preserve modification timestamp of file containers" and uncheck the box. By unchecking this option, you are telling VeraCrypt to allow the timestamp of the file container to be updated to allow the software sync to recognize that the file has been updated.

This option has been there since TrueCrypt and the fork to VeraCrypt software.
Marked as answer by frodomo on 8/19/2016 at 3:17 PM
Aug 19, 2016 at 10:17 PM
Thank you for your help! I had overlooked that one.