This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Some Files are Saved with Date Stamp of VeraCrypt Volume

Topics: Technical Issues
Aug 14, 2016 at 9:22 AM
Edited Aug 14, 2016 at 1:00 PM
I use Serif WebPlus X8, which saves its files in a Zip container file with a *.wpp extension.

Recently, since the Window 10 Anniversary update, I noticed that my website project was being saved with the same Date Stamp as the Vera Crypt container file instead of with today's date. If I perform a Save As, and give a new filename the file is saved with the right date stamp.

I can look inside the zip archive to confirm that the file was saved today, not on 5th August.
LastSaveTime="14/08/2016 05:13:50" LastPrinted="28/05/2011 11:42:26" LastPublishTime="14/08/2016 04:37:08"
This is causing big problems with my backups.

The odd thing is, that PagePlus files, which also use a similar Zip file format, are unaffected by this bug, although they are saved on the same drive.

If I save another file, which has a date stamp of 03/08/2016 as a new file, it has a correct date stamp of 14/08/2016. However, if I then rename it back to the old filename, the date stamp changes to 05/08/2016 — the date stamp of the containing folder.
Aug 14, 2016 at 3:33 PM
Edited Aug 14, 2016 at 3:34 PM
Can you post a screenshot of your VeraCrypt preferences settings?
Aug 14, 2016 at 6:01 PM
Thanks for your prompt reply. Here is my settings dialogue. How do you upload images to this forum?

Aug 14, 2016 at 6:28 PM
I think the issue will need to be addressed by Serif.

My understanding is that you have your Serif file inside the VeraCrypt file container. The VeraCrypt "Preserve modification timestamp of file containers" is enabled which means that the VeraCrypt file container's timestamp is not modified whenever you make changes to any files inside the VeraCrypt file container when you dismount the VeraCrypt file container. However, the files changed inside the mounted VeraCrypt file container will change their timestamps when created or modified.

You can verify that by creating a Notepad file in the VeraCrypt file container and modify the file to check that the timestamp is updated vs the timestamp of the VeraCrypt file container.
Aug 14, 2016 at 6:46 PM
Edited Aug 14, 2016 at 6:58 PM
I think that the problem lies with VeraCrypt.

If I copy a file created before the container file, then open that copy in WebPlus, and save that copy, today's date stamp is used.

However, if I open the original WebPlus file and save it, the date stamp is changed to the date stamp of the container file.

If I delete that original, now wrongly dated, file and rename the correctly dated copy, the copy now adopts the date stamp of the container file. This is not even using WebPlus to save the file, but just renaming it in Windows Explorer.

Something, somewhere is corrupted. On 05/08/2016 there was a momentary power-cut while I was working, so the older VeraCrypt volume had some errors, and Windows 10 could not access the file to fix the errors.

I therefore created a new VeraCrypt volume and copied my files from the old container file to the new one.
Aug 14, 2016 at 7:25 PM
I mounted the corrupted volume again, and this time was able to correct the errors. There is only one reported, which is unconnected with the WebPlus folder.

Aug 15, 2016 at 7:36 PM
I have found a workaround for the issue, but it's still puzzling.
  1. Open the old *.wpp file
  2. Save it to a different folder. The date stamp is correct.
  3. Open the file from the different folder
  4. Save it in the original folder, overwriting the old file
The date stamp is still correct. Copying the file from the different folder, overwriting the old file does not work. The date stamp reverts to the date stamp of the container file: 05/08/2016.
Aug 21, 2016 at 6:01 PM
I am sure that this is a bug in VeraCrypt.

If I save the file in C:\TEMP then copy it with Windows Explorer to the VeraCrypt WPX8 folder, replacing the original file, the current date is retained.
Aug 27, 2016 at 9:24 AM
I hope you will fix this bug in VeraCrypt. It is a severe issue that prevents my backup archives from being updated. Every time I have to save my projects in a different folder, then copy them to my archives.

To prove that it is an issue with VeraCrypt I simply renamed the folder from "WPX8" to "WebPlus"

The file date changed from 21/8/2016 to 27/8/2016 (today's date).

When I renamed the folder back to "WPX8" the file's date stamp change back again to 21/8/2016.