This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Call for Help Needed Regarding VeraCrypt Documentation

Topics: Users Discussion
Jun 21, 2016 at 4:52 PM
Edited Jun 21, 2016 at 4:58 PM
To VeraCrypt Community,

The VeraCrypt development team wants to simplify the maintenance of the VeraCrypt documentation and to tracking changes made to the documentation using GitHub.

Currently, the changes are made manually to both OpenDocument file at the link below which is converted to PDF for the User Guide stored locally on your computer and manually updating CodePlex using the website's wiki "WYSWIG" editor.

https://github.com/veracrypt/VeraCrypt/blob/master/doc/VeraCrypt%20User%20Guide.odt

However, there may be discrepancies between the OpenDocument file and CodePlex for the FAQ and documentation.

Call for help needed for the following tasks
  1. Compare the OpenDocument content (ODT file) to the CodePlex documentation to determine if any discrepancies exist.
  2. Create a HTML version of the documentation from the ODT file.
  3. Find hosting site for using the HTML documentation created from changes made to the ODT file instead of CodePlex proprietary wiki editor which requires performing the changes manually and is subject to human error.
Possible Solution for Converting ODT File to HTML
  1. Open ODT file using OpenOffice.
  2. File --> Save As... --> Save as type: HTML Document --> Save
    https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21487
My Attempt to Compare ODT File to CodePlex Documentation
My thought was to download for offline viewing the CodePlex Documentation and convert the HTML to PDF format. Then convert ODT file to PDF and compare. However, that idea failed when I used WinHTTrack which created a HTML file per hyperlink of the documentation. So instead of getting one HTML file of the documentation, I got many HTML files including other sections of the VeraCrypt website even though I set the URL only to the VeraCrypt documentation link.
http://www.httrack.com/

Your assistance in helping the VeraCrypt development team with ideas or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Cross referencing thread at SourceForge.
https://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/discussion/general/thread/d7e11106/
Jun 22, 2016 at 4:45 PM
One Method to Compare ODT File to CodePlex Website Documentation
  1. Open ODT using MS Word. I have MS Office 2010 which is able to open the ODT even though it complains that the file is corrupt.
  2. Go to the first section like Introduction.
  3. Copy and paste the text into Notepad to remove the font type and size.
  4. Copy and paste the Notepad text into Word and save as Introduction ODT.docx file.
  5. Click a link on CodePlex VeraCrypt documentation Introduction.
  6. Copy and paste the text into Notepad to remove the font type and size.
  7. Copy and paste the Notepad text into Word and save as Introduction Web.docx file.
  8. In word, click on Review and then Compare.
  9. Select Introduction ODT.docx as the original document and Introduction Web.docx as the revised document. Then click OK.
You will now see the differences between both ODT and Website documentation.

Tedious method. Any other ideas to make the comparison easier?
Jun 22, 2016 at 7:02 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2016 at 6:48 PM
No Discrepancies Found in the following sections including subsections (Only high level title is listed)
  • VeraCrypt Volume
  • Parallelization
  • Pipelining
  • Hot Keys
  • Portable Mode
  • TrueCrypt Support
  • Converting TrueCrypt volumes and partitions
  • Default Mount Parameters
  • Future Development
  • References
Discrepancies Found in various sections with misplacement of footnotes

Suggestion: When the ODT file has the footnote at the end of a page mixed with two titles, page break between the two titles so the footnote appears for the appropriate topic.

Discrepancies Found in ODT file's linking to other sections of the manual

Unfortunately, I discovered late in my tedious analysis of each section and each subsection that the ODT file's linking to other parts of the manual sometimes fails to work. I confirmed this behavior using the 1.18 Beta 9 PDF file.

Whenever references are made to another section, please validate the link works correctly.

Discrepancies Found in Table of Contents (TOC)

Online documentation is not in the same order as the ODT file. I believe the change in the order is to put the more relevant items at the top.
Partial examples:
  • VeraCrypt Volume
  • Main Program Window
  • Hot Keys
Online Documentation TOC titles needs to match ODT file:
  • Mounting VeraCrypt Volumes instead of Mounting Volumes
  • How to Back Up Securely instead of Backing Up Securely
  • Legal Information instead of License
  • Using VeraCrypt Without Administrator Privileges
  • VeraCrypt Background Task instead of Background Task
  • Volume Mounted as Removable Medium
  • VeraCrypt System Files & Application Data
  • How to Remove Encryption
  • Header Key Derivation, Salt, and Iteration Count
  • Security Requirements and Precautions instead of Security Requirements
  • Using VeraCrypt Without Administrator Privileges instead of Use Without Admin Rights
  • Volume Mounted as Removable Medium instead of Removable Medium Volumes
  • VeraCrypt System Files & Application Data instead of VeraCrypt System Files
  • How to Remove Encryption instead of Remove Encryption
Online documentation missing section:
  • Contact
ODT file missing section:
  • Cascades of ciphers
ODT file TOC does not link to Operating Systems Supported for System Encryption.
Jun 22, 2016 at 7:27 PM
Edited Jun 22, 2016 at 8:43 PM
Discrepancies Found in Introduction

Online documentation missing:
  • Preface
Online documentation changes:
First sentence in first paragraph:
VeraCrypt is a software system ...

Online documentation replace word:
meta data with metadata

ODT File is missing:
Last sentence of the Introduction section:
For a quick start guide, please see the chapter Beginner's Tutorial.
Jun 22, 2016 at 8:34 PM
Edited Jun 22, 2016 at 8:40 PM
Discrepancies Found in Beginner's Tutorial

Online documentation replace word in Step 6:
file name with filename

ODT File, remove all references to:
(Continued on the next page.)

Also, when converting from ODT to HTML format, there will be no needed for the above wording.
Jun 22, 2016 at 9:21 PM
Edited Jun 23, 2016 at 8:06 PM
Discrepancies Found in System Encryption

Online documentation changes:

Second paragraph, last sentence:
...permanently encrypted as well.

Third paragraph, last sentence:
...and on the VeraCrypt Rescue Disk (see below).

The following paragraph is located in the 6th paragraph in the online documentation. However, the paragraph below is located as the 5th paragraph in the ODT file. In other words, the 5th and 6th paragraphs have been switched between the online and ODT documentation.
The mode of operation used for system encryption is XTS (see the section Modes of Operation). For further technical details of system encryption, see the section Encryption Scheme in the chapter Technical Details.
ODT file is missing the following paragraph which is second paragraph from the bottom for this section in the online documentation.
Because of BIOS requirement, the pre-boot password is typed using US keyboard layout. During the system encryption process, VeraCrypt automatically and transparently switches the keyboard to US layout in order to ensure that the password value typed will match the one typed in pre-boot mode. Thus, in order to avoid wrong password errors, one must type the password using the same keys as when creating the system encryption.
No discrepancies found in subsection Hidden Operating System.

Discrepancies Found in Operating Systems Supported for System Encryption

Online documentation is missing the note below at the top of this subsection.
Note: After this version of VeraCrypt was released, a new version of an operating system may have been released and verified to be fully compatible with VeraCrypt. Therefore, if this is the latest stable version of VeraCrypt, you should check the online version of this chapter at: https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Supported%20Systems%20for%20System%20Encryption
Online documentation last sentence needs to be modified to match ODT.
See also the section Supported Operating Systems.
The correct grammar is to start with:
Also see...

Discrepancies Found in VeraCrypt Rescue Disk

Online documentation missing from 5th paragraph:
Note: This feature cannot be used to restore the header of a hidden volume within which a hidden operating system resides (see the section Hidden Operating System)
Online documentation 4th bullet does not match ODT file.
Note that this feature cannot be used to decrypt a hidden volume within which a hidden operating system resides (see the section Hidden Operating System)..
Online documentation Note in 4th bullet does not match ODT file. The difference occurs after the following sentence.
Note: Alternatively, if Windows is damaged (cannot start) and you need to repair it (or access files on it), you can avoid decrypting the system partition/drive by following these steps....
Online documentation 5th bullet does not match the ODT file. The difference occurs after the following:
Your VeraCrypt Rescue Disk contains a backup of the original content of the first drive track (made before the VeraCrypt Boot Loader was written to it) and allows you to restore it if necessary. The first track ...
The ODT file's last paragraph of this subsection is missing the word VeraCrypt to match the online documentation.
If your VeraCrypt Rescue Disk is damaged,...
Jun 23, 2016 at 2:02 PM
Edited Jun 23, 2016 at 5:11 PM
Discrepancies Found in Plausible Deniability

In the number 1 item, the ODT file has extra wording which does not exist in the online documentation.
Hidden volumes (for more information, see the section Hidden Volume below) ...
In the number 2 item, the word "the" is missing in the ODT file.
However, you need to prevent data leaks (see the section Data Leaks) and also note that...
Discrepancies Found in Hidden Volume

The online documentation is missing the following text that I put in bold text for to highlight the missing text from the last sentence of the Note:
Note that it is also possible to create and boot an operating system residing in a hidden volume (see the section Hidden Operating System in the chapter Plausible Deniability).
Two of the three footnotes are located within the text for the ODT file verses at the end of the section as in the online documentation.

In the third footnote in the ODT file, an extra space exists for the following text which I put in bold text. The extra space was removed by the forum software.
This area accommodates the hidden volume and therefore the size of this area limits the maximum possible size...
Discrepancies Found in Protection of Hidden Volumes Against Damage

Different descriptions exist in this section for the "Important:" between online and ODT file.

Discrepancies Found in Security Requirements and Precautions Pertaining to Hidden Volumes

The online documentation is missing the sentence that I purposely put in bold text.
Securely erase free space on the host volume (in the defragmented file system) after defragmenting. On Windows, this can be done using the Microsoft free utility SDelete. On Linux, the shred utility from GNU coreutils package can be used for this purpose.
Missing footnote in the online documentation.
This does not apply to filesystems on CD/DVD-like media and on custom, untypical, or non-standard devices/media.
Online documentation missing the following that I purposely put in bold text.
When an outer volume is mounted with hidden volume protection enabled (see section Protection of Hidden Volumes Against Damage),, you ...
Online documentation needs modification to match ODT file for the following that I purposely put in bold text:
Any actions that can be detected by an adversary (or any actions that modify any data outside mounted hidden volumes) must be performed only when the decoy operating system is running (unless you have a plausible alternative explanation, such as using a "live-CD"..
Discrepancies Found in Hidden Operating System

Online documentation missing the word "wizard" in the following:
...the VeraCrypt wizard helps you create a second encrypted operating system...
ODT File missing entire Note section above the Plausible Deniability and Data Leak Protection title.
Note: VeraCrypt will erase the content of the partition where the original system resides by filling it with random data entirely. If you revealed the password for the decoy system to an adversary and he asked you why the free space of the (decoy) system partition contains random data, you could answer, for example: "The partition previously contained a system encrypted by VeraCrypt, but I forgot the pre-boot authentication password (or the system was damaged and stopped booting), so I had to reinstall Windows and encrypt the partition again."
Footnotes are mixed throughout the section in the ODT file, most are placed at the end of the online documentation.
Jun 23, 2016 at 5:39 PM
Edited Jun 23, 2016 at 5:46 PM
No discrepancies found in Main Program Window.

Discrepancies Found in Program Menu

Online documentation missing modification in the last paragraph in Temporary Cache password during "Mount Favorite Volumes" operations subsection. I purposely bold the missing text.
Please note that since we can't assume that all favorites use the same PRF (hash) nor the same TrueCrypt mode, VeraCrypt uses Autodetection for the PRF of subsequent favorite volumes and it tries both TrueCryptMode values (false, true) which means that the total mounting time will be slower compared to the individual mounting of each volume with the manual selection of the correct PRF and the correct TrueCryptMode.
Discrepancies Found in Mounting VeraCrypt Volumes

ODT file missing "created by VeraCrypt " in subsection Use backup header embedded in volume if available which I purposely bold the missing text in the ODT file.
All volumes created by VeraCrypt contain an embedded backup header ...
Jun 23, 2016 at 5:56 PM
Edited Jun 23, 2016 at 6:03 PM
Discrepancies Found in Hardware Acceleration

Online and ODT file changed upper/lowercase for the word "option" which should be change to Configuration to match the Settings > Performance/Driver Configuration.
To find out whether VeraCrypt can use hardware-accelerated AES on your computer, select Settings > Performance and Driver Options ...
Should be in ODT and online documentation:
Settings > Performance/Driver Configuration

Missing from the ODT file are the following text that I put in bold text.
To find out whether a processor you want to purchase supports the Intel AES-NI instructions (also called "AES New Instructions"), which VeraCrypt uses for hardware-accelerated AES, please check the documentation for the processor or contact the vendor/manufacturer. Alternatively, click here to view an official list of Intel processors that support the AES-NI instructions. However, note that some Intel processors, which the Intel website lists as AES-NI-supporting, actually support the AES-NI instructions only with a Processor Configuration update. (for example, i7-2630/2635QM, i7-2670/2675QM, i5-2430/2435M, i5-2410/2415M). In such cases, you should contact the manufacturer of the motherboard/computer for a BIOS update that includes the latest Processor Configuration update for the processor.
Jun 23, 2016 at 6:14 PM
Edited Jun 23, 2016 at 6:43 PM
Discrepancies Found in Keyfiles

First paragraph there are differences between the ODT and online documentation which I bold text below.
... to combine a keyfile with password, see the section Keyfiles in the chapter Technical Details , section Keyfiles). Until ...
Online documentation missing Warning shown below which is above the bold text Warning in the ODT file.
WARNING: If you lose a keyfile or if any bit of its first 1024 kilobytes changes, it will be impossible to mount volumes that use the keyfile!
Online documentation and ODT file different wording for last sentence of the bold text Warning.
Online:
To prevent this, click 'Wipe Cache' or disable password caching (for more information, please see the subsection 'Settings -> Preferences', item 'Cache passwords in driver memory' in the section Program Menu).
ODT file:
To prevent this, click ‘Wipe Cache’ or disable password caching (for more information, please see the section Settings -> Preferences, subsection Cache passwords in driver memory).
Footnotes are located within the text for the ODT file verses at the end of the section as in the online documentation.

Discrepancies Found in Keyfile Search Path

Missing in the ODT file is the following text that I purposely bold text.
By adding a folder in the keyfile dialog window (click Add Path), you specify a keyfile search path. All files found in the keyfile search path* will be used as keyfiles except files that have the Hidden file attribute set.

Important: Note that folders (and files they contain) and hidden files found in a keyfile search pathspath are ignored.
Jun 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM
Discrepancies Found in Security Tokens & Smart Cards

Online documentation missing the text I purposely bold text below.
VeraCrypt supports security (or cryptographic) tokens and smart cards (smart card readers) that ...
Jun 23, 2016 at 7:16 PM
Discrepancies Found in Language Packs

Missing from the online documentation is the text I purposely bold text below.
Language packs contain third-party translations of the VeraCrypt user interface texts. Some language packs also contain translated VeraCrypt User Guide. Note ...
Missing from the ODT file at the end of the section is the following:
You can still download an archive containing all language packs for the latest version (1.17) from the following link.
Jun 23, 2016 at 7:32 PM
Edited Jun 23, 2016 at 7:35 PM
Discrepancies Found in Encryption Algorithms and Cascades of ciphers

Online documentation footnote is located in Serpent section instead of Encryption Algorithms section. The ODT file has the footnote located after AES-Twofish-Serpent instead of Encryption Algorithms.
  • These are positive votes. If negative votes are subtracted from the positive votes, the following results are obtained: Rijndael: 76 votes, Serpent: 52 votes, Twofish: 10 votes, RC6: -14 votes, MARS: -70 votes [19].
Jun 23, 2016 at 7:45 PM
Edited Jun 23, 2016 at 7:47 PM
Discrepancies Found in Hash Algorithms

The URL for next section from RIPEMD-160 takes you to SHA-512 skipping SHA-256. The SHA-256 has not URL for the next section.

Perhaps consider consolidating all the hash algorithms like in the ODT file verses separate links?

ODT file incorrectly list SHA-256 in the text as SHA-512.
Jun 23, 2016 at 7:57 PM
Edited Jun 23, 2016 at 8:11 PM
Discrepancies Found in Supported Operating Systems

Online documentation is missing the Note below shown at the top of the ODT file.
Note: After this version of VeraCrypt was released, a new version of an operating system may have been released, verified to be fully compatible with VeraCrypt and added to the list of supported systems. Therefore, if this is the latest stable version of VeraCrypt, you should check the online version of this chapter at https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Supported%20Operating%20Systems.
Online documentation and ODT file have different sentences for supported OS.
Online:
VeraCrypt currently supports the following operating systems:
ODT file:
This version of VeraCrypt supports the following operating systems:
Online documentation and ODT file have different sentences and grammar issues for referencing supported OS system encryption.
Online: See also: Operating Systems Supported for System Encryption
ODT file:
See also the section Operating Systems Supported for System Encryption.
The sentence should be:
Also see...

ODT file does not link to Operating Systems Supported for System Encryption.
Jun 24, 2016 at 12:17 AM
Edited Jun 24, 2016 at 12:55 AM
Discrepancies Found in Command Line Usage

Online documentation contains the "series" in the /tc switch description which does not exist in the ODT file which I purposely bold text.
Activate TrueCrypt compatibility mode which enables mounting volumes created with TrueCrypt 6.x and 7.x series.
Both online and ODT file should remove the period from the example.
Example: /m ro.
Online documentation and ODT file starts sentences with "if" instead of "If".

ODT file missing the word "by" in the following:
if it is followed by n or no: disable password cache (e.g., /c n).
ODT file missing the words I purposely bold text.
bk or headerbak: Mount volume using embedded backup header. Note: All volumes created by VeraCrypt contain an embedded backup header (located at the end of the volume).
Online documetation and the ODT file have different formats for the Syntax. Commas substituted for | and }] and ]]}.
Online (Also missing /pim):
VeraCrypt.exe [/tc] [/hash {sha256, sha-256, sha512, sha-512,whirlpool, ripemd160, ripemd-160}] [/a [devices|favorites]] [/b] [/c [y|n|f]] [/d [drive letter]] [/e] [/f] [/h [y|n]] [/k keyfile or search path] [/tryemptypass [y|n]] [/l drive letter] [/m {bk|rm|recovery|ro|sm|ts}] [/p password] [/q [background|preferences]] [/s] [/tokenlib path] [/v volume] [/w]
ODT file:
VeraCrypt.exe [/tc] [/hash {sha256|sha-256|sha512|sha-512|whirlpool |ripemd160|ripemd-160}][/a [devices|favorites]] [/b] [/c [y|n|f]] [/d [drive letter]] [/e] [/f] [/h [y|n]] [/k keyfile or search path] [tryemptypass [y|n]] [/l drive letter] [/m {bk|rm|recovery|ro|sm|ts}] [/p password] [/pim pimvalue] [/q [background|preferences]] [/s] [/tokenlib path] [/v volume] [/w]
Online documentation is missing the following switches for "VeraCrypt Format.exe":
[/hash {sha256, sha-256, sha512, sha-512,whirlpool, ripemd160, ripemd-160}] [/filesystem {None, FAT, NTFS}] [/dynamic] [/force] [/silent]
Jun 24, 2016 at 1:50 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2016 at 2:01 PM
Discrepancies Found in Security Model

Footnotes located within the text for the ODT file verses at the end of the section as in the online documentation.

Difference between online and ODT file for Limitations.
Online:
Do anything listed in the chapter Known Issues & Limitations.
ODT file:
Do anything listed in the section Limitations (chapter Known Issues & Limitations).
Jun 24, 2016 at 2:31 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2016 at 6:01 PM
Discrepancies Found in Security Requirements and Precautions Subsections

ODT file changed the order of listing of subsections of Hibernation File and Memory Dump Files.

Discrepancies Found in Data Leaks

ODT file misspelling of the word "not" as "no" in last bullet item in the Data Leaks section which I purposely bold text the correct spelling.
...If you use hidden volumes, follow the security requirements and precautions listed in the subsection Security Requirements and Precautions Pertaining to Hidden Volumes. If you do not use hidden volumes, ensure that only non-system partition-hosted...
Discrepancies Found in Paging File

ODT file missing word "encryption" in Note at top of section which I purposely bold text.
...all paging files are located on one or more of the partitions within the key scope of system encryption, for example, ...
ODT file lacks consistency for referencing Settings using "->" instead of ">" for the entire file.

Discrepancies Found in Hibernation File

ODT file is missing the following sentence in the Disclaimer which I purposely bold text.
...and later versions of Windows. VeraCrypt has used this API and therefore is able to safely encrypt hibernation files under Windows Vista and later versions of Windows. Therefore, if you use Windows XP/2003...
Discrepancies Found in Memory Dump Files

ODT file lacks consistency for referencing Settings using "->" instead of ">" for the entire file.

Discrepancies Found in Unencrypted Data in RAM

Online documentation first paragraph, last sentence needs to be changed to match the ODT file shown below.
This also applies to forced auto-dismount.
ODT file second paragraph, last sentence needs to be changed to match online documentation shown below.
..erased from RAM when the computer hibernates, is shut down or restarted.
Online documentation in Summary section at the end is missing the following from ODT file:
...This is required to clear the RAM (see also the section Hibernation File).
Proper grammar would be "Also see" instead of "see also".

Footnotes for Unencrypted Data in RAM are not properly located in the Unencrypted Data in RAM section in both the ODT file and online documentation. Footnotes from Physical Security should be separate from Unencrypted Data in RAM in the ODT file.

Discrepancies Found in Physical Security

Second paragraph, last two sentences:
Online:
It is your responsibility to prevent such attacks. If you do not, VeraCrypt may become unable to secure data on the computer.
ODT file:
You must prevent such attacks. It is solely your responsibility to do so. If you do not, VeraCrypt may become unable to secure data on the computer.
ODT file footnote for Physical Security should be moved from the Unencrypted Data in RAM section to the Physical Security section.

Discrepancies Found in Malware

Last paragraph discrepancies.
Online:
...sent by your relatives or friends (their computers may be infected with malware sending...
ODT file:
...sent by your relatives or friends (their computers might be infected with malware sending...
Page break so footnote is on the section as Malware.

No discrepancies found for:
  • Multi-User Environment
  • Authenticity and Integrity
  • Choosing Passwords and Keyfiles
  • Changing Passwords and Keyfiles
Discrepancies Found in Trim Operation

ODT file, click on the links for System Encryption, Hidden Operating System and Plausible Deniability do not take you to those sections of the manual.

Online documentation uses merely hyperlink for certain words where ODT file provides explict instructions to see another section which I will bold text below.
...the key scope of system encryption (see chapter System Encryption) (unless a hidden operating system is running – see section Hidden Operating System) and under Linux on all volumes that use the Linux native kernel cryptographic services. In those cases, the adversary will be able to tell which sectors contain free space (and may be able to use this information for further analysis and attacks) and plausible deniability (see chapter Plausible Deniability) may ...
Discrepancies Found in Wear-Leveling

ODT file is missing "Memory Dump Files" in second paragraph, last sentence which I will purposely bold text.
...see the sections Data Leaks, Paging File, Hibernation File, and Memory Dump Files.
No discrepancies found in Reallocated Sectors

Discrepancies Found in Defragmenting

Second bullet in ODT file is missing the following sentence.
...On Windows, this can be done using the Microsoft free utility SDelete (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897443.aspx). On Linux, the shred utility from GNU coreutils package can be used for this purpose.
Discrepancies Found in Journaling File Systems

ODT file missing reference to Ext3 in first paragraph's first sentence.
When a file-hosted VeraCrypt container is stored in a journaling file system (such as NTFS or Ext3), a copy...
No discrepancies found in Volume Clones

Discrepancies Found in Additional Security Requirements and Precautions

ODT file links to other sections fail:
  • How to Back Up Securely
  • Security Model
  • Security Requirements and Precautions Pertaining to Hidden Volumes
  • Plausible Deniability
Jun 24, 2016 at 6:13 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2016 at 7:09 PM
Miscellaneous

No discrepancies found in:
  • Using VeraCrypt Without Administrator Privileges
  • Sharing over Network
  • VeraCrypt Background Task
  • Volume Mounted as Removable Medium
Discrepancies Found in VeraCrypt System Files & Application Data

ODT file using plural instead of singular of the word "file".
• “In-Place Encryption Wipe Algo”
(temporary configuration files used during the initial process of in-place encryption/decryption of a non-system volume).
• “Post-Install Task - Release Notes”
(temporary configuration files used during the process of installation or upgrade of VeraCrypt).
Should be file instead of files.

ODT file missing the following from "Post-Install Task - Tutorial":
(temporary configuration file used during the process of installation or upgrade of VeraCrypt).
Online documentation and ODT file have different sentences shown below.
Online:
The following files are saved in the folder %windir%\system32 (32-bit systems) or %windir%\SysWOW64 (64-bit systems):
ODT file:
The following files are saved in the folder %windir%\system32 (both on 32-bit systems and 64-bit systems):
Discrepancies Found in How to Remove Encryption

The first number 4 in the online documentation has the word "delete" instead of "Delete".
delete it (the container) just like you delete any other file.

Discrepancies Found in Uninstalling VeraCrypt

ODT file missing the following uninstall instructions for Linux as third paragraph.
To uninstall VeraCrypt on Linux, you have to run the following command as root: veracrypt-uninstall.sh. For example, on Ubuntu, you can type the following in Terminal: sudo veracrypt-uninstall.sh
Discrepancies Found in Digital Signatures

Both online and ODT contain different references for the first paragraph in How to Verify X.509 Signatures.
Online:
An X.509 digital signature is embedded in each of those files along with the digital certificate of the VeraCrypt Foundation issued by a public certification authority.
ODT File:
An X.509 digital signature is embedded in each of those files along with the digital certificate of the IDRIX issued by a public certification authority.
ODT file missing proper link to download PGP public key.
Online:
Download our PGP public key from IDRIX website (https://www.idrix.fr/VeraCrypt/VeraCrypt_PGP_public_key.asc) or from a trusted public key repository (ID=0x54DDD393), and ...
ODT File:
Download our PGP public key from IDRIX website or from a trusted public key repository (ID=0x54DDD393), and ...
Different sentences for number 5 in How to Verify PGP Signatures.
Online:
Download the digital signature by downloading the PGP Signature of the file you want to verify (on the Downloads page).
ODT File:
Download the digital signature by clicking the PGP Signature button next to the file you want to verify (on one of the download pages).
ODT file missing Linux instructions shown below in How to Verify PGP Signatures.
Under Linux, these steps can be achieved using the following commands:
  • Check that the fingerprint of the public key is 993B7D7E8E413809828F0F29EB559C7C54DDD393: gpg --with-fingerprint VeraCrypt_PGP_public_key.asc
  • If the fingerprint is the expected one, import the public key: gpg --import VeraCrypt_PGP_public_key.asc
  • Verify the signature of the Linux setup archive (here for version 1.0e): gpg --verify veracrypt-1.0e-setup.tar.bz2.sig veracrypt-1.0e-setup.tar.bz2
Jun 24, 2016 at 7:13 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2016 at 10:06 PM
Discrepancies Found in Troubleshooting

Online documentation missing starting the sentence with an "A" to match the ODT file.
A VeraCrypt volume cannot be mounted; VeraCrypt reports “Incorrect password or not a VeraCrypt volume”.
ODT file starting sentence with lowcase letter instead of uppercase.
You can try to restore the volume header from the backup embedded in the volume by following these steps:
ODT file missing the following that I purposely bod the text.
A bug in a third-party application (e.g. antivirus, system "tweaker", driver, etc.)
Online documentation missing part of solutions options.
PROBLEM:

When the system partition/drive is encrypted, the operating system ‘freezes’ for approx. 10-60 seconds every 5-60 minutes (100% CPU usage may co-occur).

PROBABLE CAUSE:

A CPU and/or motherboard issue.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:
  • Try upgrading the BIOS. <-- MISSING THIS ITEM IN ONLINE DOCUMENTATION.
  • Try disabling all power-saving-related features (including any special CPU enhanced halt functions) in the BIOS settings and in the ‘Power Options’ Windows control panel.
  • Replace the processor with a different one (different type and/or brand).
  • Replace the motherboard with a different one (different type and/or brand).
ODT file missing problem identifications.
Online:
When accessing a file-hosted container shared over a network, you receive one or both of the following error messages:
"Not enough server storage is available to process this command." and/or,
"Not enough memory to complete transaction."
ODT file:
When accessing a file-hosted container shared over a network, “insufficient memory” or "not enough server storage is available" error is reported.
ODT file needs to remove the underscore or whatever character appears as an underscore so link to solution is available for the problem above.
Then restart the system. For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285089/ and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078/
Jun 24, 2016 at 10:15 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2016 at 10:19 PM
Discrepancies Found in Incompatibilities

Online documentation and ODT file for the Note at top of this section are different.
Online:
Note: The issue described below does not affect you if you use a non-cascade encryption algorithm (i.e., AES, Serpent, or Twofish).* The issue also does not affect you if you do not use system encryption (pre-boot authentication).
ODT File:
Note: The issue described below does not affect you if you use a non-cascade encryption algorithm (i.e., AES, Serpent, or Twofish).* The issue also does not affect you if you do not use pre-boot authentication (see the chapter System Encryption).
ODT file link to System Encryption does not send you to the correct section.

Online documentation needs to uppercase "decrypt" shown below to match ODT file.
Possible permanent solution: decrypt the system partition/drive, and then re-encrypt it using a non-cascade encryption algorithm (i.e., AES, Serpent, or Twofish).*
Jun 24, 2016 at 10:24 PM
Discrepancies Found in Known Issues & Limitations

ODT file has incorrect command mountvole instead of mountvol.
...Windows Mount Manager cache and it can be solve by typing the command "mountvole.exe /r" in an elevated ...
Online documentation starting sentences with lowercase instead of uppercase.
after a shutdown and a restart, mounted volume will continue to be mounted without typing the password: this ...

when using system encryption and when there are System Favorites configured to be mounted at boot time: after...
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2016 at 8:54 AM
Thank you Enigma2Illusion for this extensive and tedious verification! Indeed, it is not an easy task...

I will fix the discrepancies and issues you found so far.
Jun 25, 2016 at 2:07 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2016 at 3:36 PM
Discrepancies Found in Frequently Asked Questions

REQUEST: Insert missing Q/A in the same place as the other documentation to prevent false positives on any future comparisons.

ODT file missing disclaimer at the top.
This document is not guaranteed to be error-free and is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. For more information, see Disclaimers.
Online documentation has redundant last updated which exists at the bottom of the FAQ webpage.

Online documentation puts extra space between letters for the title of Frequently Asked Questions.

ODT file needs to match online documentation for item shown below from the online documentation. Remove reference to "in version 1.0e".
It also solves many vulnerabilities and security issues found in TrueCrypt. The following post describes parts of the major enhancements and corrections done so far: https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/discussions/569777#PostContent_1313325
Both ODT file and online documentation need to be modified to the following:
Yes. The chapter called Beginner's Tutorial in the VeraCrypt User Guide contains screenshots and step-by-step instructions on how to create, mount, and use a VeraCrypt volume.
ODT file answers needs to match online documentation as shown below.
Can I encrypt a partition/drive where Windows is installed?

Yes, see the chapter System Encryption in the VeraCrypt User Guide.
ODT file needs to match online documentation as shown below.
Delete the 100 MB System Reserved partition located at the beginning of your drive and set the system partition next to it as the active partition ...
ODT file's answer needs to match online documentation as shown below.
Is it possible to donate to the VeraCrypt project?

Yes. You can use the donation buttons at https://veracrypt.codeplex.com.
ODT file missing "(for example, a self-encrypting storage device)". Showing online documentation below.
Remark: A similar problem also affects cryptographic hardware. (for example, a self-encrypting storage device). It is very difficult to reverse- engineer it to verify that it does not contain any security flaw or secret 'backdoor'.
ODT file needs to match the online documentation shown below.
Yes. In fact, the source code is constantly being reviewed by many independent researchers and users. We know this because many bugs and several security issues have been discovered by independent researchers while reviewing the source code. Moreover, VeraCrypt is based on TrueCrypt which was independently audited by the Open Crypto Audit project and all the major issues discovered by this audit were fixed in VeraCrypt. The report of the audit can be found here. For a list of the issues that were fixed in VeraCrypt, you click here
The "click here" above should be replaced with the explicit link in both online and ODT file.
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/discussions/569777#PostContent_1313325

ODT file needs to match online documentation for the question below's answer number 3.
How can I use VeraCrypt on a USB flash drive?

Create a VeraCrypt file container on the USB flash drive (for information on how to do so, see the chapter Beginner's Tutorial, in the VeraCrypt User Guide). If you leave enough space on the USB flash drive (choose an appropriate size for the VeraCrypt container), you will also be able to store VeraCrypt on the USB flash drive (along with the container – not in the container) and you will be able to run VeraCrypt from the USB flash drive (see also the chapter Portable Mode in the VeraCrypt User Guide).
ODT file needs to add "in the documentation" to match the online documentation for multiple Q/A as shown below.
Can data be read from and written to an encrypted volume/drive as fast as if the drive was not encrypted?

Yes, since VeraCrypt uses pipelining and parallelization. For more information, please see the chapters Pipelining and Parallelization in the documentation.

Does VeraCrypt support hardware-accelerated encryption?

Yes. For more information, please see the chapter Hardware Acceleration in the documentation.

Is it possible to boot Windows installed in a hidden VeraCrypt volume?

Yes, it is. For more information, please see the section Hidden Operating System in the documentation.

What is a hidden operating system?

See the section Hidden Operating System in the documentation.

What is plausible deniability?

See the chapter Plausible Deniability in the documentation.

Can I save data to the decoy system partition without risking damage to the hidden system partition?

Yes. You can write data to the decoy system partition anytime without any risk that the hidden volume will get damaged (because the decoy system is not installed within the same partition as the hidden system). For more information, see the section Hidden Operating System in the documentation.

What's the recommended way to back up a VeraCrypt volume?

See the chapter How to Back Up Securely in the documentation.

When I use HMAC-RIPEMD-160, is the size of the header encryption key only 160 bits?

No, VeraCrypt never uses an output of a hash function (nor of a HMAC algorithm) directly as an encryption key. See the section ‘Header Key Derivation, Salt, and Iteration Count‘ in the documentation for more information.

How does VeraCrypt know which encryption algorithm my VeraCrypt volume has been encrypted with?

Please see the section Encryption Scheme (chapter Technical Details) in the documentation.
Online documentation question needs to match ODT file shown below.
Will I be able to mount my VeraCrypt volume on any computer?
The answer for the above question needs to be modified to "also see" instead of "see also" for both online and ODT file.

The online documentation answer number 3 needs and Note to match ODT file shown below.
I live in a country that violates basic human rights of its people. Is it possible to use VeraCrypt without leaving any ‘traces’ on unencrypted Windows?

Verify the digital signatures of the downloaded file (see the section Digital Signatures for more information).

Note: You may also want to consider creating a hidden operating system (see the section Hidden Operating System). in the documentation). See also the chapter Plausible Deniability.
The note above should include "in the documentation" and"See also" should be changed to "Also see".

ODT file needs to match the Q/A of the online documentation shown below.
Can I use VeraCrypt on Windows if I do not have administrator privileges?

See the chapter 'Using VeraCrypt Without Administrator Privileges' in the documentation.
ODT file needs to match answer of the online documentation shown below.
How does VeraCrypt verify that the correct password was entered?

See the section Encryption Scheme (chapter Technical Details) in the documentation.
ODT file needs to match answer of the online documentation shown below.
Can I run VeraCrypt if I don't install it?

Yes, see the chapter Portable Mode in the VeraCrypt User Guide.
Online documentation is missing reference 6 in the following.
The only thing that TPM is almost guaranteed to provide is a false sense of security (even the name itself, “Trusted Platform Module”, is misleading and creates a false sense of security). As for real security, TPM is actually redundant (and implementing redundant features is usually a way to create so-called bloatware). Features like this are sometimes referred to as ‘security theater’ [6].
Online documentation missing entire Q/A shown below.
Why does Windows Vista (and later versions of Windows) ask me for permission to run VeraCrypt every time I run it in ‘portable’ mode?

When you run VeraCrypt in portable mode, VeraCrypt needs to load and start the VeraCrypt device driver. VeraCrypt needs a device driver to provide transparent on-the-fly encryption/decryption, and users without administrator privileges cannot start device drivers in Windows. Therefore, Windows Vista and later versions of Windows ask you for permission to run VeraCrypt with administrator privileges.

Note that if you install VeraCrypt on the system (as opposed to running VeraCrypt in portable mode), you will not be asked for permission every time you run it.
Online documentation needs answer to match ODT file shown below.
What will happen if I format a VeraCrypt partition?

See the question “Is it possible to change the file system of an encrypted volume?” in this FAQ.
ODT file answer to the following question needs to match the online documentation's answer shown below.
Does VeraCrypt support 64-bit versions of Windows?

Yes, it does. Note: 64-bit versions of Windows load only drivers that are digitally signed with a digital certificate issued by a certification authority approved for issuing kernel-mode code signing certificates. VeraCrypt complies with this requirement (the VeraCrypt driver is digitally signed with the digital certificate of IDRIX, which was issued by the certification authority Thawte).
ODT file missing the following 2 Q/A shown from the online documentation.
How can I uninstall VeraCrypt on Linux?

To uninstall VeraCrypt on Linux, run the following command in Terminal as root: veracrypt-uninstall.sh. On Ubuntu, you can use "sudo veracrypt-uninstall.sh".

Is there a list of all operating systems that VeraCrypt supports?

Yes, see the chapter Supported Operating Systems in the VeraCrypt User Guide.
Jun 25, 2016 at 3:24 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2016 at 3:34 PM
Discrepancies Found in Frequently Asked Questions (Continued due to forum limit of 10000 characters in posting)

Online documentation's answer needs to match ODT file shown below.
What will happen when a part of a VeraCrypt volume becomes corrupted?

In encrypted data, one corrupted bit usually corrupts the whole ciphertext block in which it occurred. The ciphertext block size used by VeraCrypt is 16 bytes (i.e., 128 bits). The mode of operation used by VeraCrypt ensures that if data corruption occurs within a block, the remaining blocks are not affected (for more information, see the section Modes of Operation). See also the question ‘What do I do when the encrypted filesystem on my VeraCrypt volume is corrupted?’
ODT file needs to add "in the VeraCrypt User Guide" to the following Q/A shown below.
We share a volume over a network. Is there a way to have the network share automatically restored when the system is restarted?

Please see the chapter 'Sharing over Network' in the VeraCrypt User Guide.

It is possible to access a single VeraCrypt volume simultaneously from multiple operating systems (for example, a volume shared over a network)?

Can a user access his or her VeraCrypt volume via a network?

How do I remove or undo encryption if I do not need it anymore? How do I permanently decrypt a volume?

Please see the section 'How to Remove Encryption' in the VeraCrypt User Guide.

What will change when I enable the option 'Mount volumes as removable media'?

Please see the section 'Volume Mounted as Removable Medium' in the VeraCrypt User Guide.
ODT file missing the following Q/A from online documentation shown below.
Is the online documentation available for download as a single file?

Yes, the documentation is contained in the file VeraCrypt User Guide.pdf that is included in all official VeraCrypt distribution packages. You can also download the PDF using the link available at the home page https://veracrypt.codeplex.com. Note that you do not have to install VeraCrypt to obtain the PDF documentation. Just run the self-extracting installation package and then select Extract (instead of Install) on the second page of the VeraCrypt Setup wizard. Also note that when you do install VeraCrypt, the PDF documentation is automatically copied to the folder to which VeraCrypt is installed, and is accessible via the VeraCrypt user interface (by pressing F1 or choosing Help > User's Guide).
ODT file missing the following Q/A from online documentation shown below.
I haven't found any answer to my question in the FAQ – what should I do?

Please search the VeraCrypt documentation and website.
Jun 25, 2016 at 4:02 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2016 at 6:47 PM
Discrepancies Found in Technical Details

Discrepancies Found in Notation

Online documentation is missing the row for "P Plaintext block".

Online documentation uses symbols for Modulo and ODT file has the appearance of the letters of EB.

Online documentation has extra row for Modular multiplication.

Discrepancies Found in Encryption Scheme

ODT file has footnotes mixed within the section of text instead of at the end of the section like the online documentation.

Discrepancies Found in Modes of Operation

The math symbols do not match between online and ODT file. This may be a limitation of the forum software. For completeness, I point out this anomaly. :-)

ODT file missing the following after "a is a primitive element of Galois Field..."
Note: The remaining symbols are defined in the section Notation.
Discrepancies Found in Header Key Derivation, Salt, and Iteration Count

Online documentation first paragraph replace "keydata" with "key data" to match ODT file.

End of first paragraph of both ODT file and online documentation should say:
...secondary header key (XTS mode) is PBKDF2, specified in PKCS #5 v2.0; see References [7].
All references to [7] should be see References [7].

Discrepancies Found in Random Number Generator

Both ODT file and online documentation do not link to [10] and [11] references which should be shown as:
References [10]
References [11]

Discrepancies Found in Keyfiles

Both ODT file and online documentation do not link to [23] and [2] references which should be shown as:
References [23]
References [2]

Discrepancies Found in PIM

ODT file in last paragraph of section needs to replace "20 characters):" with "20 characters)." to match online documentation.
...of changing the PIM from the empty default value to a value equal to 3 (this is possible since the password has more than 20 characters). In order...
Discrepancies Found in VeraCrypt Volume Format Specification

ODT file is missing the first two paragraphs from the online documentation under the VeraCrypt Volume Format Specification title and before the table contents.

Online documentation has Next Section link before footnotes.

ODT file truncated rightmost column text.
Offset for 92 has truncated text in rightmost column.
Offset 124 has truncated text in rightmost column.
Flag bits (bit 0 set: system encryption; bit 1 set: non-system
in-place-encrypted/decrypted volume; bits 2–31 are reserved)
ODT file missing slash decrypted shown below from online documentation in Offset 124.
in-place-encrypted/decrypted volume; bits 2-–31 are reserved)
Online documentation is missing the following paragraphs immediately after the table.
Note that this specification applies to volumes created by VeraCrypt 1.0b or later. The format of file- hosted volumes is identical to the format of partition/device-hosted volumes (however, the "volume header", or key data, for a system partition/drive is stored in the last 512 bytes of the first logical drive track). VeraCrypt volumes have no "signature" or ID strings. Until decrypted, they appear to consist solely of random data.

Free space on each VeraCrypt volume is filled with random data when the volume is created.* The random data is generated as follows: Right before VeraCrypt volume formatting begins, a temporary encryption key and a temporary secondary key (XTS mode) are generated by the random number generator (see the section Random Number Generator). The encryption algorithm that the user selected is initialized with the temporary keys. The encryption algorithm is then used to encrypt plaintext blocks consisting of zeroes. The encryption algorithm operates in XTS mode (see the section Modes of Operation). The resulting ciphertext blocks are used to fill (overwrite) the free space on the volume. The temporary keys are stored in RAM and are erased after formatting finishes.
ODT file should using ">" instead of "->" in the Embedded Backup Headers section shown below.
see the subsection Tools > Restore Volume Header in the chapter Main Program Window.
ODT file has footnotes beneath the table instead at the end of the section.

No discrepancies found in Compliance with Standards and Specifications

Discrepancies Found in Source Code

Online documentation should remove the following to match ODT file.
For the latest version (1.0f-2):

VeraCrypt 1.0f-2 Source (Windows EOL)
VeraCrypt 1.0f-2 Source (UNIX EOL)
Jun 25, 2016 at 6:54 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2016 at 6:55 PM
Discrepancies Found in Legal Information a.k.a Licence on Online Documentation

ODT file link for License takes you to the detailed information.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=VeraCrypt%20License

Skipping this link with Copyright and Trademark Information:
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Legal%20Information
Jun 25, 2016 at 6:57 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2016 at 6:58 PM
Discrepancies Found in Version History

ODT file does not contain the complete version history of VeraCrypt.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Release%20Notes
Jun 25, 2016 at 7:03 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2016 at 7:04 PM
Discrepancies Found in Acknowledgements

ODT file second paragraph substituted TrueCrypt for VeraCrypt. Online documentation has TrueCrypt instead of VeraCrypt.
Paul Le Roux for making his E4M source code available. VeraCrypt 1.0 was derived from ...
I am not sure which software name should be used in this acknowledgement.

Online documentation needs to remove extra "and" to match ODT file shown below:
Wei Dai, who wrote the Serpent, RIPEMD-160 and Whirlpool routines.
Jun 25, 2016 at 7:13 PM
Hello Mounir,

I have completed my comparison between the ODT file and the online/FAQ documentation. Hopefully I did not miss anything since I had to rely on visual comparisons on occasion due to embedded tables with text in the documentation not being easily compared in Word 2010.

When you have the chance, can you confirm if the solution I provided below solved the issue of converting from ODT file format to HTML worked properly?

Possible Solution for Converting ODT File to HTML
  1. Open ODT file using OpenOffice.
  2. File --> Save As... --> Save as type: HTML Document --> Save
    https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21487
Thank you and Alex for your hard work!
Jul 31, 2016 at 7:45 PM
Contradiction in the documentation regarding keyboard layout for System Encryption.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=System%20Encryption
Because of BIOS requirement, the pre-boot password is typed using US keyboard layout. During the system encryption process, VeraCrypt automatically and transparently switches the keyboard to US layout in order to ensure that the password value typed will match the one typed in pre-boot mode. Thus, in order to avoid wrong password errors, one must type the password using the same keys as when creating the system encryption.
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FAQ
Can I encrypt my system partition/drive if I don't have a US keyboard?
Yes, VeraCrypt supports all keyboard layouts.