This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Use special charaters in my password. But open this it was wrong and How do I open this encrypted volume?

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Jun 20, 2016 at 4:36 AM
I used special characters in my password.for example: $ / # . At first, I created an encrypted volume and used this password to open. After a few days,it pointed me that it was wrong when I opened it. It is very important for me.How do I open this encrypted volume?
Jun 20, 2016 at 11:42 AM
Special characters or language specific? Are you sure you haven't used PIM? There have been change to utf 8 in some recent versions, so maybe container created with old version and opened with new might not work, but I'm only guessing.
Jun 20, 2016 at 4:55 PM
Edited Jun 20, 2016 at 4:58 PM
Because I am an user,I don't know that what is PIM.Could you tell me?Do you have the way to solve this problem?
Jun 20, 2016 at 5:14 PM
You can read about PIM in the documentation.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Personal%20Iterations%20Multiplier%20%28PIM%29

What platform are you using? (Linux, Mac or Windows)

Which version of VeraCrypt do you have installed on your machine?

Are you attempting to use VeraCrypt in portable mode?

Have you tried verifying the password by displaying the password in the GUI?
Jun 20, 2016 at 6:49 PM
I used it in the windows 10 and my VC version is V 1.17.My encrypted volume placed on the U disk.Also,The password could come out when I entered a password.I used the same password to opened two software and another software could use this password to open,but it didn't open the VC.
Jun 20, 2016 at 6:55 PM
Edited Jun 20, 2016 at 7:28 PM
Are you using a password manager to copy-and-paste the password?

Did you displayed the password in the VeraCrypt GUI to confirm the password was entered correctly? Not just used the same password in other software successfully.

Did you try using the mount option of using embedded backup header? It could be the primary VeraCrypt header has been damaged.
Jun 20, 2016 at 7:22 PM
OK,I can try it .Thank you