This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

missing shortcut icons on desktop pointing to icons on encrypted volume

Topics: Feature Requests, Technical Issues
Jun 18, 2016 at 4:07 PM
Hi,
I have some shortcuts on my desktop pointing to files which are on an encrypted volume. Every time when I reboot, after logon, the volume is not mounted and the icon of the shortcut is "empty" (standard white sheet of paper icon). And windows is not loading the icon after mounting the volume.
I had this problem since forever, but on windows 7 I had a workaround by calling "C:\Windows\System32\ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache" which forced to reload the icons.

Now I'm using windows 10 and this doesn't work anymore.

The only thing I can do is to kill explorer.exe and restart it (after the volume was mounted). Then it loads the icon again.

I tried a similar situation with an usb drive (non-encrypted):
-connect usb drive
-create shortcut
-disconnect usb drive
-reboot
--> now the icon is also missing.
But when I connect the usb drive, windows detects this and loads the icon automatically.

Does anybody know it either you could emit this "reload icon" manually in a batch file, or is it possible that veracrypt could trigger this after mounting a volume?

Or maybe somebody knows a solution where at least I don't have to kill the explorer process?

Thanks in advance :)
Jun 19, 2016 at 10:24 AM
I had some problems with shortcuts too, a few things you may want try: make shortcuts read only, set their file permissions as read only (for every user including inherited system accounts etc). I remeber I solved the issue permanently by putting shortcuts into zip file, which fixed all the shortut releated issues eventually ;-)
Jun 19, 2016 at 11:07 AM
Hi, I tried to set them readonly and revoke "write"permissions for all users: The icons are still empty after reboot. How should "read only" prevent this?
And I don't understand how I should put them in a zip file? If I just put the shortcut in a zip file, then I never see an icon. And it's complicated to start something.. I'm confused.
Jun 20, 2016 at 10:37 AM
I see, you have the shortcuts still there, only the icon images are missing. My issues were that icons with links to non existant places (inside container) disappered completely. I don't care what picture a shortcut has :-)

Your "problem" is that windows are displaying icons integrated inside the exe file and when they don't see the exe file, they cannot show the icons. I think this might work:
  1. extract icons from exe files where your shortcuts link to (you can use icon extractor from nirsoft)
  2. save the icons to a folder on the non encrypted drive (like c:\mystuff\icons)
  3. right click the shortcuts (icons), pick change icon, browse to folder where you saved extracted icon and pick one
This way the icons be stay there even when you have unmounted container/partition.
Jun 20, 2016 at 11:32 AM
Yes correct, I still have the shortcuts.

Yeah, extracting the icons would work but I don't want to spend the effort to do this for every new shortcut.
For now; killing the explorer process is easier.

If you see the usb drive example in my original post: that shows that Windows can already do it.
The question is which event is missing and/or how could it be possible to fake that event that windows is loading the icons?

I googled quite some time yesterday and found simething about a "WMI event class Win32_VolumeChangeEvent" which is fired when an usb drive is connected:
http://www.ravichaganti.com/blog/monitoring-volume-change-events-in-powershell-using-wmi/

This is not happening when mounting with veracrypt. But I don't even know if this is the trigger for windows to read the icons. I didn't find how this event could be sent manually to find out if it's triggering the icon load.