This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Buffer issue with volume file on SMB cloud drive

Topics: Technical Issues
Jun 16, 2016 at 9:41 AM
Edited Jun 16, 2016 at 12:39 PM
Dear all,

I am keeping my data on an online SMB network drive. I have recently added a VeraCrypt volume file to the cloud drive and I have mounted it locally on my Windows 10 computer.

Mounting works just fine and accessing data files is smooth too. Copying files onto the mounted volume works extremely fast. It seems that VeraCrypt is not actually writing the data directly to the volume file but into a local buffer. Apparently, VeraCrypt is only writing the data to the file when dismounting. As you can imagine, dismounting therefore takes ages on my 10 mbit connection.

Is there any way I can configure VeraCrypt to always write all changes directly to the volume file so that I can dismount the drive without delay?

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards,

Bobby
Jun 16, 2016 at 1:12 PM
Edited Jun 16, 2016 at 3:49 PM
Hello Bobby,

Is is possible to disable Windows write caching to network drives mapped to your computer?

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/21904-disk-write-caching-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html

There is Sync tool from Windows SysInternals. I do not know if this works for Windows 10.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb897438.aspx
Jun 17, 2016 at 7:45 AM
Thank you for your helpful reply, Enigma!

As to your first link: Unfortunately, I can only change the write caching settings of physical devices in the Device Manager. My virtual VeraCrypt is not showing up there.

Your second link does seem to have a positive effect which confirms the initial theory that the problem is due to the fact that changes to the VeraCrypt volume are first written to a buffer/cache.

Is there a more permanent solution to my problem out there? Clearly, I cannot execute Sync every time I copy a file to the VeraCrypt volume. :)
Jun 17, 2016 at 5:32 PM
Bonilla wrote:
Is there a more permanent solution to my problem out there? Clearly, I cannot execute Sync every time I copy a file to the VeraCrypt volume. :)
I have one, but you will not like it :-) You can launch sync from task scheduler every minute ;-)
Jun 21, 2016 at 7:47 AM
Thank you for the suggestion, testoslav. You are right, it is not my preferred solution. :) But if nothing else works, I'll go for it.