This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Windows 7 won´t let external device be safely ejected

Topics: Technical Issues
Jun 1, 2016 at 2:23 PM
Edited Jun 1, 2016 at 2:47 PM
Windows 7 won´t let me eject my external hard drive after i am finished with the encrypted volumes - Unless i logoff or reboot.

I receive the message:
"This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and try again."
  • i unmounted the encrypted volume;
  • also killed the Veracrypt process;
Thank you in advance.
Jun 1, 2016 at 2:57 PM
Edited Jun 2, 2016 at 1:57 AM
Fixed (windows 7).

This is a OS bug related to transactional NTFS. The system was not supposed to use that on removable devices, but sometimes it does.

To prove the theory, open the resource monitor:
perfmon.exe /res
During attempts to eject the device, watch the disk activity, you will see that the system is executing NTFS operations (volume logs etc), which prevents the ejection.

So the problem to eject will happens only on NTFS file system devices.

SOLUTIONS:

1) Use FAT file systems;

2) reboot/logoff.

3) OR
  • Open the disk management (diskmgmt.msc);
  • Right click over the device, on the bottom list, where they are inside frames;
  • Click "off line".
That way you can unplug the drive without risk. This change is persistent. the device will be off line next time you insert it, you will need to change it back to on line later.

Worked for me just change to off line and back to on line, then "safely remove" the device (tray icon) before the system start writing and get it blocked again
Marked as answer by adrianofw on 6/1/2016 at 6:57 AM