This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Must restore Windows volume header w/ repair disc EVERY TIME after booting from USB.

Topics: Technical Issues
May 18, 2016 at 6:10 AM
Hi.

When I first tried to boot Windows (off an encrypted drive) after booting Tails from USB, I was told that the password to the drive was incorrect (which it was not).

After the correct password got rejected a few times, it told me to put in the recovery disk to repair the volume header. Okay.

I did this and then Windows booted fine except I couldn't resume from hibernation because 'the hibernation files had been corrupted' or something like that.

Now this happens every time after I use Tails. It definitely seems like abnormal behavior; is this a known issue?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
May 18, 2016 at 3:46 PM
Hello,

No known issues with Tails.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/discussions/651845

What version of Windows?

What version of VeraCrypt for Windows and Linux for Tails are you running?

Did you display the password to make sure the correct characters are being used for the password? There have been users that are entering their password correctly on the keyboard, however the keyboard mapping or language had changed which caused the incorrect password.
May 19, 2016 at 8:37 AM
Edited May 19, 2016 at 8:43 AM
I'm using Windows Vista SP2.
I have the latest versions of VeraCrypt (1.17.22.0) and Tails (2.3).

And yes, I displayed the password to make sure it was correct. The password was 100% definitely correct.
May 19, 2016 at 3:38 PM
May 20, 2016 at 2:05 AM
That thread is just instructions on how to set up VeraCrypt in Tails.
Would doing that help in any way?
May 20, 2016 at 4:17 AM
Mounir's sentence below may be why you fail to mount the volume.
The only requirement is that you need to set up an administrative password when TAILS starts: the password is needed to mount the VeraCrypt volumes.
May 20, 2016 at 5:29 AM
Those instructions seem to be for mounting a volume within Tails, but I'm trying to boot Windows after using Tails.
I'll try it anyway. I'm not sure if I had an admin password on before.