This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Please help! Accidentally created a volume over my veracrypt drive.

Topics: Technical Issues
May 7, 2016 at 8:45 PM
Edited May 7, 2016 at 8:46 PM
I installed a second, identical drive just like veracrypt drive. Since the veracrypt drive shows up as unformatted just like new one, I accidentally created a volume on the veracrypt drive and realized afterwards. Is there any way to undo this or salvage my information?
May 7, 2016 at 9:01 PM
Try the "permanently decrypt" option for the wrongly created volume.
May 7, 2016 at 9:17 PM
it no longer recognizes the password so it gives me an error.
May 7, 2016 at 9:40 PM
first you encrypted the drive 1 with data inside.
then you created volume (container) in it - is that correct?
if yes, it means you have two passwords.
The second password for the second (container) is not recognized?did you try the permanent decrypt - and doesn't work?
May 8, 2016 at 12:32 AM
Edited May 8, 2016 at 12:32 AM
never mind im pretty sure i'm screwed. i quick formatted it as well when creating the new volume... thanks for trying though.
May 8, 2016 at 1:33 AM
As I understand your issue, you did not encrypt the volume again with VeraCrypt, but used Windows to Quick Format the encrypted drive/partition.

Try mounting the VeraCrypt volume using the Mount Options button and enable "Use backup header embedded in volume if available".

If that fails, the next last ditch desperate effort I can offer as an idea is to recreate the destroyed partition using Windows Disk Management and select without formatting and without assigning a drive letter using the exact same size and partitions that were there originally. I assume there was only one partition using the entire drive.

Then try to mount the VeraCrypt volume and if that fails try mounting with the embedded backup header.

Again, I am not certain this approach will work.