This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Disk doesn't go to idle

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Apr 16, 2016 at 4:15 PM
Hi guys,
im using Vercrypt with a WD Green with a size of 4TB. The whole drive was encrypted under truecrypt and the disk is really noisy. I got another WD Green for all my games, this disk is not encrypted. This drive goes to idle and its only audible when its used, so this drive is very silent. The encrypted drive sounds like it is always on 100% rotation and does not go to idle. So the reason is the encyption i suggest.
Is there any kind of solution to get this disk quiet? Maybe convert to a VeraCrypt drive? Or maybe a property under windows?
I would be really happy to get an answer.

Regards,
nintendo64
Apr 18, 2016 at 8:46 AM
Vercrypt does not access the drive when it is not used, so if you have power saving configured to sleep your drive(s), it should sleep your drives when not in use as long as some application does not access them time to time, which is the cause it still rotates. My encrypted idle drives sleep too and it works fine in here.

Btw. 1TB wd greens are the most quiet drives I ever had, if yours is noisy, maybe something is wrong and you shold get replacement. I have several 1tb greens and all are fine, two are in use 24/7 for 2 years now, never had replacement. In contrast I had two 3TB wd greens, both were noisy and both died. I had both twice replaced in warranty and one of them is dead again (after warranty). Either those 3TB drives, or simply larger greens do not worth a damn, be sure to back up.