This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

How to see the outer volume size?

Topics: Feature Requests, Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Apr 11, 2016 at 7:48 PM
Hello. I created a hidden volume inside the outer volume and want to write more in the outer. But, how to know its size, to prevent from writing on the hidden area?
Apr 11, 2016 at 7:57 PM
Mount the outer volume using the Mount Options button and enable "Protect hidden volume against damage caused by writing to outer volume". You will need to enter the hidden password in the field below the checkbox.

When the outer volume mounts, it will display in the GUI with Outer listed and show the size of only the outer volume.
Apr 11, 2016 at 8:06 PM
Even when it's mounted this way, it is still displaying in GUI the total size of the disk (just writing the word "outer"), and not the size of the maximum free Outer size that can be written without reaching the Hidden.
Apr 11, 2016 at 8:08 PM
Even when it's mounted this way, it is still displaying in GUI the total size of the disk (just writing the word "outer"), and not the size of the maximum free Outer size that can be written without reaching the Hidden.
Apr 11, 2016 at 8:11 PM
Use Windows Explorer and click My Computer to see the usage of the drive letter you mounted the VeraCrypt volume.
Apr 12, 2016 at 6:29 AM
Hm, do you see it as you say at your computer? I have windows 7. In windows explorer as well as in Veracrypt application, the only information is the the total size of the disk - but not the size of the safe outer volume.
If i mount the outer with Protect Hidden enabled, i see used 17 MB (that is the size of the files i saved in the outer) , and 1.81 TB FREE SPACE, that's the entire disk. There is not other information.

However, in i mount the hidden, i see 147 MB used (there is not such a thing as its completely emply) and 1.75TB free space.
Apr 12, 2016 at 1:57 PM
My mistake. You are correct.

This is done on purpose as part of the plausible deniability. If the GUI showed only the space remaining on the outer drive, an advisory would know that you have a hidden partition which defeats the purpose of having a hidden partition.

Therefore, you will need to calculate the remaining space by subtracting the total size of the hidden volume, not just space used within the hidden volume, but the entire size you specified when you created the hidden volume from the total size shown in the outer volume.

An easier method is you can protect the hidden volume by when modifying the contents of the outer volume by using the Mount Options button and enable "Protect hidden volume against damage caused by writing to outer volume". You will need to enter the hidden password in the field below the checkbox. This will prevent overwriting the hidden volume. In general, it is a good idea to use this option anytime you mount the outer volume to prevent Windows from writing to an area where the hidden volume is located.
Apr 12, 2016 at 9:10 PM
It doesn't look to be done on purpose, because, to mount with "Protect hidden volume" you need to put the hidden volume password.
So it would be not a problem to show the volume size in that case, as only person who knows the hidden volume password can login to outer volume and protect it.

However... instructions says, that even in that case you might damage hidden volume if you try to overwrite.
Apr 13, 2016 at 2:15 PM
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I believe that not showing the space remaining for the outer volume even when you enable protecting the hidden volume option is to provide plausible deniability.

If someone looks over your shoulder or is on your computer with the outer volume mounted with hidden volume protected option, then using either Windows Explorer or the VeraCrypt GUI, they will not see the space of the outer volume being smaller than the drive, partition or file container.

A user requested on either the CodePlex or SourceForge sites to add an option to hide the Type field in the VeraCrypt GUI so people could not see the Type listing of Outer (protecting hidden volume), Normal or Hidden labels for the mounted volumes.
Apr 13, 2016 at 2:24 PM
Exactly. It doesn't have sense if anyway it's displayed the word "outer" it's clear there is also hidden volume, so actually wouldn't hurt to have a possibility to see the size of the available in outer. However it's clear everything. Thanks for the answer.
Apr 13, 2016 at 6:19 PM
Edited Apr 13, 2016 at 7:26 PM
After further consideration, I think the default behavior of VeraCrypt should be changed to not show the Type value in the GUI to increase the plausible deniability. Make the user change the new option of showing the Type field in the GUI verses hiding the Type field which would indicate that you may use a hidden volume. :-)

I mention this in case the developer, Mounir is considering this option.
Apr 13, 2016 at 6:32 PM
I agree. However it could be useful when you mount the hidden volume at "volume properties" to show the available free space of the outer volume. Also... actually i don't mind too much to remove information from GUI. The reason is, if you input the correct password of the hidden volume (even as an option to protect the outer volume) then, it means you already can have full access to hidden volume.