This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

What if windows 10 crashes while a Veracrypt vol is mounted?

Topics: Feature Requests, Technical Issues
Mar 16, 2016 at 9:54 PM
Hi,
I have version 1.16 running on win.10 and all is well except windows for -other- reasons crashed badly !
AT the time I had mounted a veracrypt virtual volume (a windows file) and added a few files and various other changes.
After the crash when I mounted the volume, it did not have the files I had added. I am not sure what other changes had been lost.
So, my question is how robust is veracrypt as regards a "filesystem" regardless of its security features ?
I expected it to have some kind of file systems -journaling- , but I guess it doesn't. It REALLY should you know!

Any one knows the answers ?
Mar 16, 2016 at 10:54 PM
Just realised you can choose NTFS file system if vol size greater than ~ 4GB.
Will this solve or improve the situation, when windows dies ?
Mar 18, 2016 at 11:03 AM
Did you try running a chkdsk on the volume? Right click on the mounted volume and click Check filesystem. It is always ideal to click check rather than repair first. That'll tell you whether or not there are errors to be corrected. If so it might be able to recover the data with the repair option provided that the files you put on didn't get indexed properly which can actually happen with windows filesystems in general, it actually has nothing to do with Veracrypt. That is one of the drawbacks of a FAT filesystem though is the lack of proper journaling, which means they're not as hardened in error situations.

Yes in general NTFS would be better at handling errors. Windows is pretty bad with file move/copy operations in general, especially if there are stability issues with the OS before/during or even shortly after the transfer took place. Again though this isn't actually a Veracrypt issue, it's a Windows issue. Try running the check on it and see how it goes.
Mar 23, 2016 at 4:25 AM
Yes did try chkdsk but with no success.
I think my default choice shall from now on be NTFS. And will do more regular backups !
I agree that it is not a Veracrypt issue. I initially thought the filesystem choice is hidden by Veracrypt but of course it is not. You have a choice Fat & NTFS.