This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

linux cli: create volume with AES(Twofish(Serpent)) - anybody got this to work? how?

Topics: Technical Issues
Mar 15, 2016 at 12:16 AM
Edited Mar 15, 2016 at 12:19 AM
Trying to create crypts from the command line under bash running in Ubuntu 14.04 I can't seem to select AES(Twofish(Serpent)) directly. It seems to be the parantheses that is the problem. As you can see from the following plain AES works fine. I tried escaping the parantheses, with and without " marks, with and without a space. I know I can select 5 manually of course, but I'm trying to do this part non-interacively. Anybody know a way to make this work?

Copied from my terminal:

me@ub:~$ veracrypt --text --create "/media/me/data-1/0test/file" --volume-type=normal --size=10M --encryption=AES(Twofish(Serpent))
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
me@ub:~$ veracrypt --text --create "/media/me/data-1/0test/file" --volume-type=normal --size=10M --encryption=5
Error: Unknown option: 5
me@ub:~$ veracrypt --text --create "/media/me/data-1/0test/file" --volume-type=normal --size=10M --encryption="AES(Twofish(Serpent))"
Error: Unknown option: AES(Twofish(Serpent))
me@ub:~$ veracrypt --text --create "/media/me/data-1/0test/file" --volume-type=normal --size=10M --encryption="AES"

Hash algorithm:
1) SHA-512
2) Whirlpool
3) SHA-256
Select [1]: ^Cme@ub:~$
me@ub:~$ veracrypt --text --create "/media/me/data-1/0test/file" --volume-type=normal --size=10M --encryption="AES(Twofish(Serpent))"
me@ub:~$ veracrypt --text --create "/media/me/data-1/0test/file" --volume-type=normal --size=10M --encryption "AES(Twofish(Serpent))"
me@ub:~$ veracrypt --text --create "/media/me/data-1/0test/file" --volume-type=normal --size=10M --encryption "AES(Twofish(Serpent))"
me@ub:~$
Mar 15, 2016 at 1:57 AM
nvm, I'm an idiot.

--encryption="AES-twofish-serpent"

works. I should have thought of that.
Marked as answer by continentalop on 3/16/2016 at 11:18 AM