This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Conflict with client-side encrypted cloud storage

Topics: Users Discussion
Mar 12, 2016 at 12:13 AM
Edited Mar 12, 2016 at 12:31 AM
I'm trying to use both VeraCrypt and client-side encrypted cloud backup/storage with automated real time backup, which thus far seems unworkable. I would appreciate any advice as to how I might do both, if such a thing is possible.

I'm experimenting with SpiderOakONE for encrypted cloud storage. SpiderOak automatically uploads file changes in real time while saving storage space by comparing hashes and only changing data blocks, not entire files. However, while SpiderOak can encrypt and upload already encrypted VeraCrypt files, the doubled encryption will prevent this de-duplication feature from working. Any incremental change in a file –e.g. simply correcting a typo in a Word document-- will cause the entire file to be replicated, thus consuming cloud storage space with numerous variations of the same file.

As for VeraCrypt, my ideal is to encrypt hidden partition drives for sensitive data and leave some crumbs of non-sensitive data unencrypted on C: for plausible deniability. However, as above, anything encrypted in the hidden partitions will not de-duplicate in SpiderOak, and my storage space will fill, unless I go in and manually delete old versions, which contradicts the purpose of automated backup. Would using VeraCrypt to encrypt my entire system drive instead of using hidden partitions be a workaround? I don't see how it would matter whether the encrypted data is on a hidden partition or not. Also, I've already experimented with VeraCrypt system drive encryption, and found that given my old, used laptop it takes between 5 - 7 minutes to boot and get Thunderbird and Firefox fully running. I could live with that though if whole system encryption made a difference.

I’m not stuck on either SpiderOak or VeraCrypt, and am open to any solutions as to how to do both client-side encrypted cloud backup/storage and protect the data on my laptop. There are other client-side encrypted cloud storage options beside SpiderOak, but I assume the double encryption problem I am speaking of will exist no matter what service I were to choose. I like SpiderOak’s automated real time backup feature, but would consider a different method that required me to manually back up, although if I had to manually delete every older version of a changed file rather than simply overwrite backed up files, that would be a pain.

Perhaps I am trying to do the impossible, and I will have to settle for either/or. Any solutions or suggestions would be appreciated.