This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

USB Thumb Drives & USB Drives

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Mar 10, 2016 at 11:25 AM
Ive read and understand the documentation but at 500G I was wondering what the best plan of encryption for these drives are.

1.) encrypt whole drive
2.) 2 partitions (1 encrypted, 1 encrypted)
3.) Encrypted container

I have personal medical files that I need to transport with me and wanted to be able to open and share them on another computer.

Any thoughts?

Any help is appreciated before I waste 2 hours on a wrong encryption method.
Mar 10, 2016 at 4:08 PM
Edited Mar 10, 2016 at 8:35 PM
How are you planning to use the volume on the other computer?
Is the other computer running the same OS?
Are any of your files greater than 4 GB in size? (FAT32 has 4 GB file size limit.)

Are you wanting to make a copy to the other computer or are you merely going to connect the external drive to the other computer and mount the volume?

I tend to avoid encrypting a drive with no partitions since Windows will always prompt you to format the drive.

I either will encrypt the drive with one partition of the entire drive or for smaller needs use a file container.
Mar 11, 2016 at 12:50 PM
Its a keychain USB Flash Drive.

I plan on just carrying certain health files to drs office and plug it in at his office if needed.

So I created a simple volume on it and encrypted.

Just not sure if it will be recognized and be mounted if no Veracrypt available.

Basically, I want portability as emergency.

I also have a 500G wireless drive that I want to take with me with my laptop with Veracrypt installed for graphic presentations.

So I have multiple purposes. Just Not sure if there is a one size fits all encryption theme to use.

Im a noob at this but understand some basics.

PS: Thanks for the previous reply
Mar 11, 2016 at 2:44 PM
Edited Mar 11, 2016 at 2:45 PM
Based on your intended usage for the USB Flash Drive and external HDD, I will make the following recommendations for your consideration.

Regarding the USB Flash Drive, you need to use a file container formatted as FAT32 as long as individual files within the file container are < 4 GB in size. This will allow you to mount and share the data on Windows, Mac and Linux. Since you plan to connect to your doctor's computer, you will need to run VeraCrypt in portable mode since it is highly unlikely your doctor will have VeraCrypt installed on their computer and they should not allow you to install software due to concerns of malware and/or privacy laws.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Portable%20Mode

Another option is to purchase USB Flash Drive that has the ability to encrypt its contents without requiring installation of software on other computers.

For your external HDD, did you mean to write "2 partitions (1 encrypted, 1 encrypted)" or did you mean for one of the partitions to be unencrypted?

Either way, create one or two partitions and encrypt the partition(s). After encrypting the partition and with the partition not mount in VeraCrypt, you will need to use Windows Disk Management to remove the assigned drive letter. It is possible when creating the partition to select no drive (I think). This will prevent Windows from prompting you to format the encrypted partition when you plug-in the external HDD to your PC.

I would encrypted the partitions using NTFS format.