This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

make OSX version as feature reach as Win

Topics: Feature Requests
Mar 7, 2016 at 6:50 PM
OSX version is probably the most feature-ascetic for all major disk encryption applications. VeraCrypt/TrueCrypt for OSX allows container-based encryption only. So does Jetico. Diskcryptor doesn't have OSX version at all.

Creates a niche, a strong demand - doesn't it?
Mar 7, 2016 at 7:49 PM
Edited Mar 7, 2016 at 8:45 PM
I wonder if the reason there are no third party disk encryption for OSX is due to Apple not sharing the proprietary APIs or drivers needed at the system level.

Even Symantec Endpoint Encryption for Mac relies on Apple's FileVault being enabled before installing Endpoint for disk encryption.
Mar 8, 2016 at 10:54 AM
I could be wrong but I assume system partition encryption is OS-independant, isn't it? BIOS loads VeraCrypt and VeraCrypt boot-time code, provided that all authentication checks are positive, loads OS with all its API and stuff.

However proprietary API can be a problem for non-system partitions, I agree. We need to push Apple hard :)
Mar 9, 2016 at 10:03 PM
I don't think it's that simple, the way you are saying it worked in the old DOS days :) I'm sure though, that you (or anyone else) won't ever push apple somewhere, but you can stop buying their restricted and expensive products. You can consider yourself lucky, that apple kindly allows you to use veracrypt at all, and vc does not need to be apple webkit based ;-)