This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Errors after trying to mount drives

Topics: Technical Issues
Mar 7, 2016 at 8:58 AM
Hi all,

I have a problem in mounting disks.
When the disks were created (external USB, 1,8 Tb in size) we verified that using the encrytion file (was on a seperate USB stick) the disks could be read on my laptop (windows 7, 64 bits).

After taking the disks with me, I attached them to a server running Windows 2008.
When taking a look at server manager, I can see all 4 disks attached to the system.
Now when I try to mount them (separate or auto mount) i get the follwoing error message:

Auto-mount failed due to one or more of the following:
  • Incorrect keyfile(s)
  • Incorrect password
  • Incorrect Volume PIM number
  • Incorrect PRF (hash)
  • No valid volume found.
I copied the keyfile to local storage on that server, can find it, but somehow in any way I try I get the error message.
Please assist me in how to solve this as soon as possibble while I need to get this data of the disks to a network share.
Mar 7, 2016 at 3:11 PM
Did you type the password in Notepad to see if the keyboard mapping matches your expected password? Sometimes users have encountered failed login due to the language settings have changed or keyboard country mapping was changed.

If the keyfile is a picture or media file, be sure to copy it read-only since third party application may try to update the metadata of the file which will cause the keyfile to fail for login.
Mar 8, 2016 at 12:36 AM
I just had the same problem today. When trying to mount the encrypted volume on my USB, as I do every day, I received this error message:

Auto-mount failed due to one or more of the following:
Incorrect keyfile(s)
Incorrect password
Incorrect Volume PIM number
Incorrect PRF (hash)
No valid volume found.

I double checked,but my language settings were right. Something has happened to the volume. It is a real problem, and if I don't find a solution I might stop using Veracrypt altogether, as it is a risk that I really can't take. Does anyone have any clue of what might have happened and how to solve it?

Thanks.
Mar 8, 2016 at 5:38 AM
Edited Mar 8, 2016 at 5:44 AM
Have either you tried mounting option of using the embedded backup header?

@2RedMaples,

When the volume is dismounted, using Windows Disk Management do you see a drive letter assigned to the dismounted USB volume? If yes, remove the drive letter to prevent Windows prompting you to format the drive.
Mar 8, 2016 at 6:05 AM
Hi Enigma2Illusion,

We didn't use any password for the drives so that shouldn't be the problem.
The keyfile is already read-only as well on the original USB drive as on the 3 locations I copied it to.

Any other suggestions ?
Mar 8, 2016 at 4:36 PM
Hello Ron,

Did you tried mounting the keyfile using the embedded backup header option when mounting the volume?
Mar 9, 2016 at 6:06 AM
Hi,

Also tried that.
I also asked to remove 3 out of 4 USB-drives from the server, but still get the same error message at this time.
Anymore suggestions at this time ?
Mar 9, 2016 at 9:53 AM
Also just installed version 1.17 instead of 1.16, but still get the same error.
Tried all earlier mentioned options also (embedded backup header) but this didn't get the disk mounted also.

So at this time I am out of options.
Mar 9, 2016 at 4:01 PM
Edited Mar 9, 2016 at 4:02 PM
Did you attempt to mount the volumes on the original Win7 system using the copy of the keyfile(s) that you used on the Windows 2008 server?

I just want to eliminate that the keyfile(s) have not be altered when you copied them to the USB stick or Windows 2008.
Mar 9, 2016 at 5:36 PM
Yes I did.
The original keyfile is on a seperate USB stick and is read-only on that one.
That key I copied to 3 different locations where they also were read-only after the copy.
Mar 9, 2016 at 9:16 PM
The last idea I have is to take one of the external drives and determine if you can mount it on another PC other than the original Win7 PC using the copied read-only keyfile.

Is VeraCrypt installed on the Windows 2008 server or are you attempting to use portable mode?
Mar 10, 2016 at 7:57 AM
What we already tested is this :
The VeraCrypt software (v1.16) was installed on a Windows 2008 server, disks were encrypted and data was copied towards it.
Then the disks were removed and I tested if I could read the disks on my laptop, which was possible.

After that we took the disks with us, connected them to another Windows 2008 server in another DataCentre and thats when the problems started.
VeraCrypt is installed on the server.

So we already tested that the keyfile was correct.