This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

New user trying to follow The Beginner's Tutorial

Topics: Users Discussion
Feb 29, 2016 at 3:58 AM
The Beginner's Tutorial appears to be outdated

I'm trying to set up VeraCrypt and this is what I do
1 Open it up > under volume > I Select File = J:\Add to flash\Stuff
2 Click > Mount > A New Window opens > Does the volume contain a hidden volume ?
I choose > The volume Does Not contain a hidden volume.
3 A New Window opens > Enter a Password for the normal/outer volume.
I enter ****** and Click OK .
4 That takes be back to the 1st Window And I Can Not go any where Else
If I click on Mount to goes back to A New Window opens > Does the volume contain a hidden volume ?
5 I never get anything like step 9 of the Beginner's Tutorial
6 Any ideas or help
7 Using Windows 10

Thank a Old Senior Citizen
Rick
Feb 29, 2016 at 4:12 PM
Hello Rick,

Are you using the latest version of VeraCrypt which currently is 1.17 version?

It appears you did not follow the documentation correctly since your step 9 description does not match creating a file container. It appears you are attempting to mount a volume. First, you need to either encrypt a disk partition or create a file container.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Beginner%27s%20Tutorial

The documentation shows step-by-step how to create a file container and then how to mount the file container with red lined boxes to guide with what to click or perform. I suggest you create a small test file container to understand the process and how you would mount the file container.

Kind Regards.
Feb 29, 2016 at 7:40 PM
Enigma2Illusion "Are you using the latest version of VeraCrypt which currently is 1.17 version? "=Yes

However I errored in that I Clicked on the wrong thing under Start > Recently Added > VeraCript(I did Not pay attention to exactly what it said) and it was opening VeraCryptExpander.

Because I had my browser open{ to follow the Beginner's Tutorial } I did Not see the VeraCrypt short cut on the desktop until this morning.

The Beginner's Tutorial Works great if you/I use the right program.

Enigma2Illusion Thank you for your help

Now I just have to get use to using it

Thanks from a Old Senior Citizen
Rick
Feb 29, 2016 at 7:55 PM
Enigma2Illusion "Are you using the latest version of VeraCrypt which currently is 1.17 version? "=Yes

However I errored in that I Clicked on the wrong thing under Start > Recently Added > VeraCript(I did Not pay attention to exactly what it said) and it was opening VeraCryptExpander.

Because I had my browser open{ to follow the Beginner's Tutorial } I did Not see the VeraCrypt short cut on the Desktop until this morning.
The Beginner's Tutorial Works great if you/I use the right program.

Enigma2Illusion Thank you for your help

Now I just have to get use to using it

Thanks a Old Senior Citizen
Rick