This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

BitLocker & VeraCrypt

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Feb 21, 2016 at 5:36 AM
I realize it is more trouble than it may be worth but is there any technical reason that would prevent an individual from using VeraCrypt and BitLocker for whole disk encryption concurrently.

I've tested the config on a VM with VeraCrypt 1.17 and BitLocker set to password authentication on boot without TPM without issues.

Could this setup lead to potential issues down the road that could lead to instability or corruption.

Real world benefits aside is there any negative to this approach?
Feb 21, 2016 at 9:29 AM
Hello,

It is not recommended to mix encryption technologies for the same disks or partitions since a software conflict can occur causing crashes or possibly data corruption.

Since future changes to either BitLocker or VeraCrypt software may cause conflicts which could make your system unstable and/or data corruption.

My advice is to only use a single encryption product for a given disk or partition.

Kind Regards.
Feb 21, 2016 at 3:27 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
Hello,

It is not recommended to mix encryption technologies for the same disks or partitions since a software conflict can occur causing crashes or possibly data corruption.

Since future changes to either BitLocker or VeraCrypt software may cause conflicts which could make your system unstable and/or data corruption.

My advice is to only use a single encryption product for a given disk or partition.

Kind Regards.
I know this is the stand point of idrassi as well, however I disagree with it,
Feb 21, 2016 at 5:44 PM
Hello Alex,

This is the nature of software that performs the same function with their own drivers. For example, you can install more than one AntiVirus software on your PC. However, at some point they will be in conflict with each other as they both want to be the primary controller for active/passive scanning files and internet activity.

For encryption software, the encryption software driver intercepts the I/O request to perform the on-the-fly encryption/decryption tasks. Driver conflicts can occur when two or more drivers are trying to perform the same task at the same time.

I hope my explanation makes sense.

Kind Regards.
Feb 21, 2016 at 10:40 PM
I dare to disagree too. They are not doing the encryption in parallel, but one after another, otherwise it would not work at all, so I'd not worry about a confilct. But if you experience some data loss, you may recall they told you so :)

Actually, for those who don't want to convert GPT to MBR and still want fully encrypted system, it sounds to me like not that bad idea to encrypt GPT system partition with bitlocker and the data partition(s) with verarypt. Then the conflict is impossible, because they touch different data. Bitlocker should protect you at least from data theft, but maybe not from government, I'd have problem with closed source bitlocker "made in USA", because if NSA wants a backdoor, they have enough power to force MS to implement it.
Feb 23, 2016 at 6:06 AM
Enigma.... I have been using parallel volume encryption software, mixing all kinds of products with eachother (including VC and TC of course) for more than 20 years and i have never had a problem. Currently I am using VC, again on top of another encryption product, and they work together like a charm. With current CPU running really fast, you can encrypt 50 times on top of each other and you wont feel a difference in speed as the disk read time is the only factor that weights.