This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Hidden volume not working for hard disk

Topics: Technical Issues
Feb 17, 2016 at 9:36 AM
Hello,

I am trying to make a hidden volume in my external hard disk but i run into issues.
In the 'select device' stage, I can only select the 1 (and only) partition of the disk (\Device\Harddisk2\Partition1)
I cannot type any self-chosen file name in any way. if I do or make any changes to the name (\Device\Harddisk2\Partition1) I get an 'cannot access device' when trying to select the outer volume size.

If I use (\Device\Harddisk2\Partition1) and follow through the steps, Verycrypt tells me the hidden volume was succesfully created. However if I then try to open the harddisk (either in windows explorer or with veracrypt) I get a notice the disk is not ready for use and I need to format it first (while I just formatted it right before starting the hidden container process)

Many thanks for your help, it is really appreciated!
Cees
Feb 17, 2016 at 3:38 PM
With the volume dismounted in VeraCrypt, do you still see a drive letter assigned to the volume in Windows Disk Management on the external drive?

If yes, remove the drive letter that Windows assigned to the volume which should now show as RAW format in Disk Management since you formatted the drive/partition using VeraCrypt.