This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

VeraCrypt 1.17 for Mac OS X crashed at container mounting time

Topics: Technical Issues
Feb 17, 2016 at 5:15 AM
Hi!

I use VeraCrypt 1.17 under Mac OS X 10.11.3. I repeatedly experience the Application crash sometimes (but not every time) I mount a container. It happened with ver. 1.16 too. It happened with TrueCrypt for Mac which I used before I switched to VeraCrypt too, and it crashed more often than VeraCrypt does. It crashed under Mavericks too.

The crash symptoms:
  • I select a container file (not the same file- different ones, both tc and vc containers are "good" for the crash);
  • I enter passphrase;
  • prior to any results of the mounting process the application crashes. A critical error massage window is displayed. The OS, I suppose, tries to launch the XCode debugger and asks to authenticate this process to make changes (enter the administrator credentials) which I did not do as for now, just pressing 'cancel' button;
  • I have to invoke Activity Monitor and Force-quit VeraCrypt (it's marked not responding);
  • When I relaunch VeraCrypt it displays the container as mounted and I can work with it.
It also happened once during a new container creation process.

I can't say exactly how to recreate the crash unfortunately. But if someone could give me a hint and some step-by-step instructions how I can trace back what causes it- perhaps collecting some debugging data or process dumps- I would gladly commence efforts to help to squash the bug.

Thanks and Cheers!!
Feb 24, 2016 at 6:45 AM
It seems that the crash happens when:
  • I try to mount a container and misstype the password;
  • I get error message;
  • I try to mount the same container once again and type correct password.
Then VC crashes, however after relaunch I see the container is mounted.
Feb 27, 2016 at 5:54 PM
no, there's no direct dependence. the crash happens under different scenarios too.
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2016 at 12:06 AM
Thank you for this report.

It would be helpful to get OSX stack trace and for that you need to validate the error window. Can you please post the information displayed there?

If it doesn't contain any helpful information, I will build a debug friendly version of VeraCrypt that can give us more information about the location of the crash.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Feb 28, 2016 at 7:21 AM
Sure, I'll gladly help. But unfortunately I'm not quite familiar with OSX yet. So if you could give some detailed instructions how I can get this stack trace - it would accelerate things.

Thanks and cheers!
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2016 at 10:18 PM
I have prepared a debug version of VeraCrypt 1.18-BETA1 for MacOSX. You can get the installer from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/veracrypt/files/VeraCrypt%20Nightly%20Builds/VeraCrypt_1.18-BETA1-DEBUG.dmg/download

When the crash occurs, just follow OSX instructions and click the button to signal the error: it will open a windows containing a lot of technical information including the stack trace. Just copy the text without sending the actual report to Apple, and past the information here.
Mar 5, 2016 at 7:26 PM
Can I have both 1.17 and 1.18 beta versions installed on my system? Thanks!
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2016 at 8:24 PM
If you don't want to install the debug version, I have uploaded a zip file containing just the VeraCrypt application bundle for it: https://sourceforge.net/projects/veracrypt/files/VeraCrypt%20Nightly%20Builds/VeraCrypt_1.18-BETA1-DEBUG.zip/download (here is its pgp signature).

Unzip it and run it from any location in your disk.

Thank you for your help.
Mar 7, 2016 at 4:30 PM
installed and running this one but no crashes so far! pity :)
Mar 10, 2016 at 4:23 AM
the crash occurred while I was mounting container in the DEBUG version. It happened, again, the next time I tried to mount the container after wrong password on the previous mount attempt. Authentication window popped up and I entered admin credentials. However nothing happened after that - there just was a "Please wait..." message hanging forever and the busy mouse pointer. No window with stack trace, no button to report the crash- nothing. I had to force-quit the application. Then I opened the Console but found no logs about VeraCrypt at all. I ran a search through all messages against VeraCrypt keyword but nothing pulled up.

Is there any other way I can extract and pass you the debug information?

Thanks!
Aug 18, 2016 at 7:03 PM
Hi!

The new version 1.18 still has the same problem. It crashes at container mount time. not always but often.

Cheers!