This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Computer freezes completely

Topics: Technical Issues
Feb 16, 2016 at 3:56 PM
I have a bizarre new problem.
("New" because I have been using veracrypt in my system for quite some time now, with no problems.)

The symptom is this:

Veracrypt encrypted external hard disk is mounted, I start working on it, and suddenly the whole system freezes. Not just veracrypt or the programs I am using the mounted volume with. The whole system, a Windows 10, 64bit, 16GB RAM desktop computer.

When this happens, nothing works: not alt-control-delete, not task manager, nothing.
The system is dead.

I have to turn off the system and turn it on again.

The same veracrypt disk can be mounted successfully on a different system, a laptop.
The system there is Win 10, 64bit, 8GB RAM.
I can use the mounted volume there with no problems at all.

Now: A bit of background:

Prior to this problem appearing, my desktop had Veracrypt v1.16 installed.

Yesterday I decided to install v1.17. Installation completed successfully.

Then, the strange behaviour begun.
The system just froze five minutes or so in my working with the mounted volume.

I thought that there is a stability problem with v1.17 and for that reason I decided to completely uninstall v1.17, and install v1.16 again.

I did.

Unfortunately the problem has stayed with me.
After few minutes, the system freezes to death.

I do not know whether the problem is indeed with the new version. It seems so, but I do not want to check it, by installing v.1.17 on the laptop and see what happens.

Access to the encrypted disk is mission critical for me, and I cannot gamble here.

The problem is I do not know what to do, or what might be the problem.

If you could give me some directions and / or ideas I would be more than grateful.

Thank you.

pwei
Feb 16, 2016 at 4:46 PM
It's strange coinscidence, but this looks like you have a bad sector. I use the latest version of verarypt too (and previous for some time too), but everything works normally. When you lay your ear to your hard disk during the freeze, do you hear repetitve clicking sounds? If yes, this is when hard disk tries to reread the bad sector.

You can do a surface test using program like hdtune.
Feb 16, 2016 at 5:17 PM
Edited Feb 17, 2016 at 11:43 AM
testoslav wrote:
It's strange coinscidence, but this looks like you have a bad sector. I use the latest version of verarypt too (and previous for some time too), but everything works normally. When you lay your ear to your hard disk during the freeze, do you hear repetitve clicking sounds? If yes, this is when hard disk tries to reread the bad sector.

You can do a surface test using program like hdtune.
Hi testoslav

Thanks for your reply.
If it was a bad sector, the problem would be evident when mounting the disk with the laptop, as well.

This, however, is not the case.
With the laptop I can use the mounted volume with no problem at all, for as much as needed.

:-/

I am not sure what else might be the case.
Checking the event viewer yesterday after one of those freezes I found a critical error with something about "Shadow copy failed" (or very similar to it) but I do not seem to be able to find it today..

I am not even sure it's related..

I am in the darkness here, and any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you.

pwei