This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Veracrypt on Debian 8.3 is not running in GUI mode.

Topics: Users Discussion
Feb 12, 2016 at 6:16 PM
Hello,

Veracrypt on Debian 8.3 64 bit does not work in GUI mode. That's three days I try to install it without success. I said that on Kunbutu I no problems to make it work. I said that my version of Debian is clean. I said that in Veracrypt console works but when I want to run anything graphics mode is started. Yet I Veracrypt icon in the Debian menu.

Thank you for helping me find the solution.
Feb 13, 2016 at 5:10 PM
Do you have wxwidgets installed? Truecrypt needed wxgtk 2.8.
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2016 at 3:20 PM
Hi,

The official VeraCrypt Linux binary doesn't require wxWidgets to be installer since it is linked statically against wxWidgets and it only depends on GTK2 which should be present in Debian. Did you install standard Debian with GNOME or another flavor like KDE or Xfce?

Are you sure you used the GUI installer version? In your case, you should have installer VeraCrypt using the file veracrypt-1.17-setup-gui-x64.

If you indeed installed VeraCrypt using the correct installer and still no GUI shows up, can you please open Terminal and type the command veracrypt. You should have at least a message the is printed and that will help us understand what is happening in your case.
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2016 at 3:38 PM
Luckily I have found a VM with Debian 8.3 GNOME 64-bit and I did a quick test and it works as expected. Here is a screenshot:

VeraCryptDebian8.3Gnome64Bit
Feb 15, 2016 at 7:53 PM
Edited Feb 16, 2016 at 12:32 AM
Hi,

I just formatted and reinstall Debian 8.3 64 bit to get a clean install. I still can not install Veracrypt 1.17 on Debian 8.3 64 bit.

Here's what I did : I unzipped veracrypt - 1.17 -setup- gui- x64 on file > document. Then I opened the Terminal SU mode, I then returned password. I slip directly veracrypt - 1.17 -setup- gui- x64 file in the terminal window and pressing the enter key. I do the installation in graphical mode by default by choosing install Veracrypt .

Thereafter the terminal asks me to press enter to close the terminal , I do.

Seeking Veracrypt I find that nothing is installed .

I installed later in console mode, and there I see an execution icon Veracrypt I clicked but nothing starts. I said that when I make Ubuntu the same type of system I am able to run Veracrypt . Being very familiar with Windows I have no concept of linux and I am just a beginner with no experience . Maybe my installation method is not correct

Video installation :

Video of my installation

I have the same problem under Gnome ... In the terminal , the message Installing package ... seems inactive because I have the message immediately "Press Enter to exit ..." that appears. When I press the enter key , do a search for VeraCrypt , but nothing found . I said that the 64-bit Debian 8.3 is updated. I thought my CPU is an AMD while your INTEL is but I do not think that is the problem .

Coordinator
Feb 18, 2016 at 8:19 PM
The issue comes from the fact that your user account doesn't have the administrative right and these are needed to use the sudo command called by the installation script.

The easier way is to add your current user account to the sudo group. For this, follow these steps:
  • Open a Terminal and type: su
  • Type the root password (not the current user password) and hit ENTER
  • Type the following command after replacing USERNAME by your current user name : adduser USERNAME sudo
  • Logout from the KDE/Gnome session
  • Login again with your user account
Now you will be able to install VeraCrypt.

VeraCrypt uses sudo internally to ask for administrative privileges so this adding your current user to the sudo group is needed anyway.
Feb 20, 2016 at 12:02 AM
Edited Feb 20, 2016 at 1:54 AM
Hi idrassi,

Thanks to you, I could finally install Veracrypt 1.17 without any error messages, it works perfectly! I can also read my files on my network hard drive to your grace this trick in this forum.

I would thank you, you're a very inteligent and very sympathetic. You find instead of repeatedly my problems very quickly. I really appreciates your support in this forum!

A big thank you!
Pierre