This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Is veracrypt becoming bloatware?

Topics: Users Discussion
Feb 10, 2016 at 6:42 PM
Today I needed to install veracrypt over gprs and it was the first time I noticed, that veracrypt installer has over 13MB (TC had 3MB), because the download took almost an hour :-( I understand, that those new cool features need new lines of code, but I wonder, why is veracrypt now more than 4 times bigger than the truecrypt size? I guess it is not that much changed. I love VC, but I hope it won't degrade to the need of NET framework or some of that resource hungry bloatware :-(
Feb 10, 2016 at 10:40 PM
Edited Feb 11, 2016 at 4:31 PM
VeraCrypt is not becoming bloatware. The VeraCrypt installer includes the often requested separate Expander utility and the 2.8 MB VeraCrypt User Manual which provides more examples and includes explanations of the newer features and clarifying existing features. The TrueCrypt manual was only 903 KB.

The installer version 1.16 for Windows is 11.2 MB total size and compression is used for the various files within the installer. After the installation, you will see:
  • Various language files use 10.7 MB of disk space.
  • The VeraCrypt Expander tool for 32 & 64-bit take a total of 3.1 MB of disk space.
  • The PDF User Manual for VeraCrypt is 2.83 MB verses TrueCrypt's 903 KB User Manual.
None of the above is using resources of the CPU or memory except when you invoke them.

Personally, I appreciate the bundling all the language files, Expander and certainly the improved (larger) user manual with the installer. I hate having to perform separate downloads to get the full features and any utilities. Also, bundling make it easier on the developer since he would not have to create signature files for each download.

Your frustration of the longer download time is understandable given your very slow mobile download speed. However, you can see the VeraCrypt is still very light on system resources.

Kind Regards.
Feb 12, 2016 at 5:28 PM
I see. Thank you for explaining.