This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Missing instructions. Installation Linux

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Jan 28, 2016 at 11:31 PM
I read the documentation but it is missing one of the critical parts...how to install.

I downloaded the various Linux versions but all I get are errors opening the files. Package manager cannot open and instructions on installation are missing.

Nice tutorial on how to use it but that is of little use until after you can install it. Normally I would expect the package extension .deb ? Did I miss the downloads for linux installation?

All versions I have include SETUP in the name but there are four files? Which is what?

Ubuntu 14.4

Thanks
Mar 14, 2016 at 5:37 AM
Edited Mar 15, 2016 at 12:00 AM
There are 4 gnu/linux installers - a console version and a gui version for
32 and 64 bit systems:

veracrypt-1.17-setup-console-x64
veracrypt-1.17-setup-console-x86
veracrypt-1.17-setup-gui-x64
veracrypt-1.17-setup-gui-x86

The ones that end in "86" are for 32 bit systems.
The ones that end in "64" are for 64 bit systems.
The ones that say "gui" include a gui, the others don't.

32 or 64 is dictated by whether you are installing under a 32 or 64 bit system.
If you aren't sure which you have, open a terminal and type:
uname -a
and press the enter key. If "x86_64" appears somewhere in the anywhere in the output
that is a 64 bit system, otherwise it's presumably a 32 bit system.

All 4 installers are shell scripts and the installation itself is NOT gui. Just copy the
/path/filename into a terminal and click enter. The console versions install a Veracrypt
that is only operated through the command line only whereas the gui version include
a gui to run Veracrypt. I believe you can still run those from the command line also, by typing "veracrypt --text" where you would have typed just plain "veracrypt" so the gui is like an additional option, when you install that version, although I can't swear to that because I've installed both
now.

It is pretty common in gnu/linux systems for shell scripts to not be given any
extension. Imagine a ".sh" at the end (or even rename them) if that helps.
Mar 14, 2016 at 2:19 PM
Here is a list of third party PPAs:
                https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Contributed%20Resources
Here is link giving the steps to install the Veracrypt TAR file:
               http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-veracrypt-1-0e-on-the-most-popular-linux-systems/
Mar 14, 2016 at 11:22 PM
+1 for linking to a tut that presumably starts at square 0 with downloading and verifying the authenticity of the downloads, since OP may not be the only one seeking enlightenment in this thread. Although he personally appears to have gotten past all but the last step of actually running the installer.

But I'd think twice before enabling a third party ppa. You are putting an additional party (how much do you know about them?) in between you and the source, needlessly. Running the installation script is pretty darn simple and any knowledge or skills you pick up on the way to figuring it out are very basic things that will make your daily use of a gnu/linux system a lot easier.
Apr 19, 2016 at 11:51 PM
Another plea to VeraCrypt to amplify the Beginner's Tutorial, by including step-by-step instructions for installing the program in linux. (ubuntu)

After downloading the files, I too was presented with just a meaningless list of four files. I had to search for further information. Luckily I found this thread. Those of us newly migrated from Microsoft Windows to ubuntu do not even know what a “Terminal” is. I had to spend about half an hour investigating this first (via Google). When I tried to Cut/Paste the appropriate file into the “Terminal” I was presented with further problems, such as needing to use “Paste Filenames” rather than “Paste”, and later needing a Password, which involved several guesses before I stumbled on the correct one. Finally I got the misleading message “Click Enter to Exit” - without any explanation that the program had in fact now installed.

All in all, it has taken me all evening just to install the program.

Couldn't we just have a simple “install.exe” file, like in Microsoft Windows?
Apr 23, 2016 at 9:38 AM
Er . . . no.

It's not done that way on 'nixes. You could have a .deb which works
similarly from a user perspective but making one is just one more bit
of work to demand of a guy who is probably already putting more time
into this project than he'd like to, considering he isn't paid for it. And the
.deb would only work on Debian family linuxes, whereas the scripts should
work for ANY 'nix. The scripts are also more transparent since most people
using a 'nix know how to read them.

That bit about pasting filenames - you must be using pcmanfm which, last
time I looked was the default graphical file manager (in other words, like Win Explorer)
for Lubuntu but not for Ubuntu itself. I don't keep up with it, 'cause I've been
rolling my own for a while, but Ubuntu used to use Nautilus, and I'd be surprised
if it is doing it that way. Didn't used to. Anyway, try Thunar. I think you'd like it
better.

Things like knowing what a terminal is, or what your password is, how to copy
a filename, how to run a script or install a program, or (on 'buntus, which are eccentric) when to
use "sudo" come under the heading
of basic familiarity with your operating system. You can't really expect every application to have
a manual explaining these things for every distro. It would be like expecting every windows program
to come with a manual telling what a desktop was and how to find "My Documents". If you have trouble
of that kind, I suggest ubuntuforums.org. I'm not trying to a smartass, that's just the way it is.

If you really think better installation instructions are needed, there is YOUR opportunity to contribute -
write them. After all, you managed to do it, and your difficulties are fresh in your mind. Write it up
and post it.