This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

VeraCrypt Upgrade

Topics: Users Discussion
Jan 13, 2016 at 7:31 PM
Hi everyone,

First of all I hope I'm posting this in the right section if not I am very sorry.

I have made a big mistakke. I upgraded VeraCrypt from 1.0f-2 to 1.16 and i forgot that I had set the enter password screen for pre-boot authentication to not display any text.

Usually this is no problem because I enter my password and the system boots after a little while but I am assuming that because of the upgrade I am supposed to do something else first but I can't see what because of me setting the boot screen to show nothing.

I know for a fact that the drive is accessible because I installed VeraCrypt in a Linux LiveCD and I selected Options and then checked the pre-boot authentication option in the GUI and I did not check Use PIM and the partition mounted with no issues and all files are accessible. If this was a dual boot setup everything would be great since i could access the files from the other partition but this is a Windows only setup.

I was wondering if you could guide me through what i need to do in order to be able to enter my password at boot time or if there is a way in the Linux version of VeraCrypt where I could unencrypt the drive and then encrypt it again inside Windows once I had booted and turned off my choice of not showing text during boot.

Sorry if this is a long post but I wanted to give as much information as possible and thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Also thank you so much to the VeraCrypt devs and community for such a valuable project.
Jan 13, 2016 at 10:21 PM
Edited Jan 13, 2016 at 10:48 PM
Press enter twice instead of pressing enter once.

So that's enter after entering the password and enter once more for the PIM.

The reason why it will not boot is because it is waiting for your PIM, which in your
case you did not set any (it will use the default iteration number) and so it still waits
for your input for the PIM which is blank you need to press enter again after entering
your password.

Once you get in, make sure you create a new rescue disk, and destroy the old one.
Jan 14, 2016 at 1:44 PM
Hi,

Thank you so much for your help, it worked out really well. I am taking this as a lesson learned that when i upgrade VeraCrypt I will be sure to enable bootloader messages then switch them off later once I know what is happening.

Once again I greatly appreciate your help it saved me a lot of time setting up a Windows virtual machine then installing VeraCrypt 1.0f-2, encrypting the drive, upgrading to 1.16 and seeing what was going on.

Thanks and have a great day.
Jan 15, 2016 at 1:24 PM
@ TheQuiet101

I'm glad I could help :)