This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Folder shares not available

Topics: Technical Issues
Jan 1, 2016 at 4:13 PM
I've just noticed this codeplex discussion forum in addition to the sourceforge one. I'm a new user of VeraCrypt so please excuse me if this is a duplicate posting.

I have a PC with Windows 8 Version 6.2 Build 9200 with latest Windows updates.
I have installed VeraCrypt 1.17-BETA. I have disabled VeraCrypt Background Task.
I created an encrypted NTFS partition with some folders that are shared.

On a limited user profile I run:
VeraCrypt.exe /v \Device\Harddisk1\Partition3 /l x /q /s /p "password"

If I run the VeraCrypt GUI I see X: is mounted. If I run Windows Explorer I see X: and the folders within. So far so good.

If I look at any of the folder properities in X: they show Not Shared. If I run Net Share they don't show. If I try to access over the LAN, no shares.

If I log off then still no shares visible. But if I log back on the shares become visible, both on the "server" PC and over the LAN.

If I log on with another user profile (happens to have admin rights) then I still see X: in Windows Explorer. But if I run VeraCrypt GUI I see no X: in the drive list whether mounted or unmounted.

Can anyone help me with these problems please?
Jan 1, 2016 at 4:47 PM
Edited Jan 1, 2016 at 4:49 PM
Same problem you will encounter when you share a folder on your usb thumb drive and you forgot to plug it in before logon. When windows "don't see" the folder on logon, they don't publish the share. So it is probably better to create the share everytime you mount VC volume. I solve this quickly running a batch script after mount. Copy and paste to file share.cmd:
net share publicsharename=x:\sharedfolder /grant:user_name1,full
Other solution could be to mark your volume(s) as favourites and mount them on logon (see settings). Then maybe the shares could be preserved. I have not tested this by myself, because I don't like it ;-)
Jan 1, 2016 at 8:56 PM
Thank you testoslav. I understand the sharing now.

I had lots of individual folder shares on the partition so perhaps I'll rearrange under a single root share and use NTFS permissions to protect the various family members privacy.

Why does the mount drive letter disappear completely from the VeraCrypt GUI after logging off and back on please?
Jan 3, 2016 at 5:50 PM
Edited Jan 3, 2016 at 6:00 PM
It's a batch file, so you can share how many folders you want using more lines. Security you can solve either by ntfs, or by more parameters like:
net share publicsharename=x:\sharedfolder /grant:mommy,read /grant:daddy,full /grant:myself,full
net share publicsharename1=x:\sharedfolder2 /grant:mommy,read /grant:daddy,full /grant:myself,full
net share publicsharename2=x:\sharedfolder3 /grant:mommy,read /grant:daddy,full /grant:myself,full
You will have to run as administrator (rightclick, run as admin), if you have UAC enabled. If you want to elevate uac prompt from within batch (without right click), you can add this uac prompt code before the net shares.

Edit: mounted letter is usually not available if you logon as different user than who mounted the container. If you logout and then logon as the same user who mounted, it should be visible, so I don't know. VC has option to auto dismount when user logs off, try with it. Administrators always see the letter mounted by non admins, but normal users don't see letters mounted by administrators, when I want normal user to access mounted letters by admin on the same computer, I do it via \pcname shares described above and don't log out (I use user switching).