This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Win7, Win10, and linux on same HD. How to encrypt?

Topics: Technical Issues
Dec 17, 2015 at 7:19 PM
I've got a laptop with three partitions. The first partition has Windows 7 installed (C:), the second has Windows 10 (D:) installed, and a third is available for when I get around to installing Ubuntu. There are only three partitions; no special Windows boot partition exists.

I encrypted the Windows 7 partition with no problems. However when I boot to Windows 10 and try to encrypt the Windows 10 partition, VeraCrypt complains that it already detects the VeraCrypt boot-loader and overwriting this will possibly make things unreadable.

Can I ignore this warning If I make sure to use the same password for both Windows 7 and 10? If not, how do I go about having both OSes encrypted?
Dec 18, 2015 at 5:46 PM
Have a look at this blog post, which explains possible issues: I used the process described to dual boot (Truecrypt) system encrypted Win 7 and Win Vista partitions. (No longer have the setup, and haven't tried with Veracrypt.)

http://yyzyyz.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/truecrypt-how-to-encrypt-multiple.html

I imagine the issues are the same; a rather fiddly process, but not too difficult if you are OK with Linux command line and hex editing!

Those with more knowledge of the changes in the way Veracrypt works would be better placed than me to say whether the process would cross over without major modifications.
Dec 18, 2015 at 6:58 PM
This is how I run your same operating systems:
I give Linux the entire drive, install VirtualBox, then install the Windows systems as virtual machines. To get encryption security for the Windows VMs, create a VeraCrypt container for the Windows virtual machine files. You can use one massive container for all the Windows VMs or a separate container for each. There are pros/cons each way. Instead of using container(s), you can use a separate logical or physical drive for all the VMs and encrypt that entire drive.